post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 02 plate Vito 108CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Fuel Tank or Gauge? On aVito 108CDI

Hi, I just bought an 02 plate Vito 108CDI. I think I got a pretty good deal. The guy I bought it from said don't let it go below 1/4 tank or it'll cut out.
My friend seems to think there may be water in the tank and I will have to drain the tank and see if there is. Or the Gauge just could be faulty meaning 1/4 means empty. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
The fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank, so if there is water in it -it would be the first one to be sucked.
Welcome to the forum. I see you already filled up the user info what makes you good starter.
Generally diesels loosing fuel prime are pretty hard to restart, so it is not advisable to run them dry. I like to make full use of my tanks (while I estimate most of the owners fill up still having 30-40% tank full) and on newly purchased vehicles carry spare can of fuel and try to run on the reserve. With diesel I am trying to avoid running dry, so usually after experiencing that I can drive 70-80 miles with the reserve on, I am satisfy and add some fuel. Fill up at this point is giving me realistic tank capacity, what quite often is 10% higher than the official data. That is also giving me an idea what is my real life range on the tank, what is very helpful while driving in Nevada and California where gas station can be 40 miles apart, not to mention that desert stations are price gouging, while cites with good prices on fuel can be 150 miles apart, so planning fueling there can save quite few bucks.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 05-26-2009 at 11:23 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
As above, if there was water, it would be sucked first irrespectively if the tank was full or almost empty. It could be a small leak at the fuel feed line (between the fuel pump and the tank).
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: