Daimler AG’s purchase of a 9 percent stake in Tesla Motors Inc - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
bgoin's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Location: Neo-Nuremberg and Saint Mountain Meadows
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Daimler AG’s purchase of a 9 percent stake in Tesla Motors Inc

By Miles Weiss

“May 21 (Bloomberg) -- Daimler AG’s purchase of a 9 percent stake in Tesla Motors Inc. leaves co-founder Martin Eberhard wondering whether the electric-car startup is really worth almost half the market value of General Motors Corp.

Daimler agreed this week to invest $50 million, according to a filing yesterday from closely held Tesla. That values the San Carlos, California-based company at $550 million, or 47 percent as much as GM based on today’s stock price as the automaker faces a probable June 1 bankruptcy…..”


Tesla Co-Founder Questions Valuation at 47% of GM?s (Update1) - Bloomberg.com
bgoin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 31,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
LOL, that's an interesting perspective.

Actually, the GM CEO is wondering why GM's value isn't lower....but it will be, when all they are allowed to make are little tiny cars as the administration shepherds them through their Chapter 11.
Check Codes is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Musikmann's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 17,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
From what I understand, Daimler is quite interested in becoming more eco-friendly. I'm a participant in their Daimler Research Survey and the last 2-3 survey installments have dealt with our opinions on electric and/or hybrid engines.

I don't know enough about Tesla to gather how "cutting edge" their R&D and electric technology is, but the higher-ups at MB probably know a trifle more than I do. I wish them luck because whether we like it or not electric, hydrogen and other sources of vehicular power will soon become a reality.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Musikmann is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
From what I understand, Daimler is quite interested in becoming more eco-friendly. I'm a participant in their Daimler Research Survey and the last 2-3 survey installments have dealt with our opinions on electric and/or hybrid engines.

I don't know enough about Tesla to gather how "cutting edge" their R&D and electric technology is, but the higher-ups at MB probably know a trifle more than I do. I wish them luck because whether we like it or not electric, hydrogen and other sources of vehicular power will soon become a reality.
Tesla's R&D is so far ahead in the electric car business considering the size of the company. They came out with the Roadster not too long ago with strong interest and sales weren't bad. They just debuted their sedan as well. Only thing keeping them down is the economy.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Michael Pillay's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Anyone know the stock symbol for Tesla Motors?

Mike
Michael Pillay is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay View Post
Anyone know the stock symbol for Tesla Motors?
Tesla is privately owned with Elon Musk owning most of it.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Michael Pillay's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml View Post
Tesla is privately owned with Elon Musk owning most of it.
Thanks. That would explain why I could not locate it anywhere!

Mike
Michael Pillay is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
MB-SV's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2007
Location: overlooking Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'm glad Benz decided to take the risk and invest.

S.


2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
MB-SV is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
bgoin's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Location: Neo-Nuremberg and Saint Mountain Meadows
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
I'm glad Benz decided to take the risk and invest.
They maybe covering their ass, since the last agreement (developing high tech cars) with GM is now a maybe, if GM goes away:

"The GM/DaimlerChrysler partnership was announced on December 13, 2004 with Dieter Zetsche of DaimlerChrysler joining Rick Wagoner of GM on stage with a prototype. The agreement was not signed until the following August, however.

GM is reportedly responsible for development of rear- and four-wheel drive truck and front wheel drive car systems while DaimlerChrysler is focused on a rear wheel drive luxury car application.

It was announced on September 7, 2005 that BMW would also join the alliance, likely using archrival DaimlerChrysler's rear wheel drive system.

The three companies have formed an organization called Global Hybrid Cooperation with engineering and management centered at the GM, DaimlerChrysler and BMW Hybrid Development Center in Troy, Michigan. Recent reports indicate that the three automakers will spend one billion US dollars between them on the development of the front- and rear-wheel drive hybrid transmissions."
bgoin is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: MBs
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoin View Post
They maybe covering their ass, since the last agreement (developing high tech cars) with GM is now a maybe, if GM goes away:

"The GM/DaimlerChrysler partnership was announced on December 13, 2004 with Dieter Zetsche of DaimlerChrysler joining Rick Wagoner of GM on stage with a prototype. The agreement was not signed until the following August, however.

GM is reportedly responsible for development of rear- and four-wheel drive truck and front wheel drive car systems while DaimlerChrysler is focused on a rear wheel drive luxury car application.

It was announced on September 7, 2005 that BMW would also join the alliance, likely using archrival DaimlerChrysler's rear wheel drive system.

The three companies have formed an organization called Global Hybrid Cooperation with engineering and management centered at the GM, DaimlerChrysler and BMW Hybrid Development Center in Troy, Michigan. Recent reports indicate that the three automakers will spend one billion US dollars between them on the development of the front- and rear-wheel drive hybrid transmissions."
This project has come to a conclusion for Daimler. One product based on it will be introduced later this year:

Mercedes-Benz At The New York International Auto Show:* The Mercedes ML450 HYBRID | eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

Wolfgang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Mercedes Parent Company Daimler Buys 10% Stake in Tesla administrator Mercedes-Benz News 2 06-10-2009 09:19 PM
    Strategic partnership: Daimler acquires stake in Tesla Wolfgang General Mercedes-Benz 6 05-24-2009 03:26 PM
    Abu Dhabi investment firm to take 9.1% stake in Daimler roadrutz W164 M-Class 2 03-23-2009 07:33 PM
    Daimler plans to buy VW stake asianml General Mercedes-Benz 3 10-08-2005 06:35 PM
    Daimler plans to buy VW stake asianml W163 M-Class 6 10-01-2005 03:44 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome