post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question CLK 350 2008 PLEASE HELP

Hi
I purchased a CLK 350 recently. I have discovered that the right rear indicator lamp, right rear reverse lamp, the brake lights and the indicator lamps on the xenon headlights are not operational.

Please help, i have been told that it may be the cem unit or something like that.
What could be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Perhaps you are referring to the rear SAM. It does drive most of the lights but the front indicators are driven by the front SAM. In any case this should not happen on a 2008 car, is this a flooded one or from an accident? Is it not covered by warranty?

You could have a look at the rear SAM if it is clean. Sometimes water may enter the car interior and spoil control units. The best would be to diagnose the car with Star, easier to figure out what actually is wrong.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
The car was involved in an accident on the right side damaging the door and rear 'fender' causing the door, roof and rear airbag to 'pop'. The accident was not that major. However the rear SAM is on the opposite side and the accident never touched the front SAM. So warranty wont cover.

Also what is baffling is that the only things not working are the front indicators and the right rear one also the brake lights flash when you depress the brakes. The brake light on the boot functions normally. The mirror indicator lamps and the left rear function normally and the xenons funtion normally. No other electronic problems.

I cant see that the SAM is damaged but....

Had the car at Mercedes dealership and the diagnostic there does not find any faults with the lamps. The onboard diagnostic also shows nothing.
What is star?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaa View Post
The car was involved in an accident on the right side damaging the door and rear 'fender' causing the door, roof and rear airbag to 'pop'. The accident was not that major. However the rear SAM is on the opposite side and the accident never touched the front SAM. So warranty wont cover.

Also what is baffling is that the only things not working are the front indicators and the right rear one also the brake lights flash when you depress the brakes. The brake light on the boot functions normally. The mirror indicator lamps and the left rear function normally and the xenons funtion normally. No other electronic problems.

I cant see that the SAM is damaged but....

Had the car at Mercedes dealership and the diagnostic there does not find any faults with the lamps. The onboard diagnostic also shows nothing.
What is star?
Do you mean the brake lights come on for a short period when you press the brake pedal and then go away (except that the centre light remains on)? All lights are controlled via the CAN bus except that brake lights have in addition a direct control wire (to reduce switch on delay and for redundancy). I still don't see how the rear brake lights would reach the "on"-message but would loose it quickly.

The only common thing with the rest of the rear lights and the front indicators is basically the CAN BUS (of course the combination switch and the steering column control module).

Star is the MB diagnosis computer (SDS, DAS software or what ever one wants to call it). I wonder if the workshop only checked light faults or was Star claiming everything else being fine too.

I don't see a lot of options without SDS, you could check the wiring carefully, not just visually but measure end-to-end contact and no contact to ground and other wires. You could also detach the supply wire from the SAM and try if the corresponding light comes on. Check the lamp assembly grounding too.

The car has a few pyro-fuses but I cannot see that being an issue when some parts that are driven by the SAM still work fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
No, the brake lights flash intermittently like the flashers except the boot stays on. I cant see how the SAM can be a problem coz logic tells me that the front and back lights have different SAMs right?
This is a strange one.... I am at a loss.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaa View Post
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding but if the accident didn't damage the SAM then it should be covered by the warranty since there is no abnormal damage. If it were part of an accident damaged part then I would agree that it's not a manufacturer issue but you stated the opposite.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in