Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
01 C240 problem
I have a 01 C240 which has been a great car for me for a little over a year. It has 85K miles on it. Recently I have had two problems that have surfaced.
1. Rough idle : not always but usually after about 5 minutes of use it shows up erratically. Feels like a cylinder misfiring. I actually had a diagnostic done about 5 months ago and it said cylinder 2 was misfiring but after I changed the plugs the problem continues but no more misfiring or any other codes are registering.
2. Lack of power: At starting line it sometimes takes and extra second for it to go. I would say this is about 5% of the times I stop at a stop sign of light. I also have been told from other c240 owners that I dont have the same power that they do at higher speeds too.
I have taken it to a few shops, where I have had a range of diagnostics:
1. The computer software needs to be updated: Havent done anything with this since its seems like a dealer trying to rip me off for $100
2. Bad coil pack/wires on cylinder 2 : so I changed the coil pack from 2 to 1 to see if the misfiring would switch to that cylinder. Just had it read today and there are no codes. It does feel different driving. And the lack of power off the line is a lot more prevalent. I also checked the resistance on the wires and they seemed to be consistent with the others.
3. Bad/plugged cat converter: I took it to a MB shop and this is what they said and they also quoted me 2grand in parts to fix it. Seemed outrageous so I took it to a muffler shop where he put two small holes in the exhaust pipes after the cat converters and said that the converters were fine. Is this a true test?
4. Lastly a bad fuel filter: Havent done anything to check this yet. And it seems like a logical thing but not sure.
Please please help. Any suggestions, other than taking it back to the dealer where I have spent $300 on diagnostics with no avail, are welcome.