LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HIYA YA'ALL

Hi..reason I found this place is 'cause of the total confusion over what tranny fluid to put in a Benz. Auto box. Seems to me our German pals have got their panties in a bunch. Had same issues with VAG and motor oil. Why these guys just cannot be like Toyota and make life easy I will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
Welcome to Benzworld
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Hi! Welcome aboard! Glad to have you at benzworld.

Fill out your CP and let us know which model(s) you own and where you live, which is helpful for all.

Specific model information help is available at the forum subsection relevant to your car....

So far as ATF fluid is concerned, for my Mercedes Benzes I feel that it is best to use the recommended Factory Mercedes Benz fluid ---- using inferior or aftermarket fluids can be false economy, the worst kind.

That is especially true of coolant, diff fluid, and brake fluid with Mercedes Benz vehicles.

The actual cost difference to me is insignificant.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks live free and cascade for the welcome. The last Benz I personally owned was back in 88..a 260E auto. I was glad to get rid after a Benz sealer did a service and did not remove the oil filter rubber seal, he put the new filter with the new seal right on top of the old. The engine siezed about 3 miles after I left the dealer.

The car I am now researching is a year 2000 W210 with the 300TD motor. My son is a gifted mechanic and this is his pal's car. As far as I can see the best ATF fluid is made by Shell with the reference number 3403-M 115.

I think this year of car with this gearbox followed the spec MB236.5/236.9. I am not sure if this is correct. Some say that FEBI sell the correct fluid as supplied by FUCHS ref 3353.

FEBI are not noted as selling the best parts and I avoid that brand name if I can but I accept they might have a winner here with this fluid. As far as the actual proceedure of refill goes we will be seeking a fluid push/pull method without taking off the sump.

We are located in the UK so we just don't have the depth of competitive supply you guys have. Gasoline is $8 per US gallon here and diesel is 5% more. So you can see just how expensive running a car is. Cascade I love your car. This was always my type of MB.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
An update on this MB auto box W210. Not sure if this belongs in this part of this club but please feel free to use it. This autobox is a ZF unit and it was filled with ZF "Lifeguardfluid5" ... this is Esso LT 71141. The gearbox is called "4HP20" and was made in either 5 or 6 speed. As far as ZF is concerned this box was developed to use this fluid and NO OTHER. ZF say that this oil should be changed between 80 000 and 120 000 kilometers. Even though this unit was developed as "service free" they say that if you drive "agressively" or "do long highway drives at high speed" or "do a lot of trailer pulling" then you need to do this change. If you want the source of this info you will have to read German. Why MB just cannot make life easy I will never know. USAers and UKers are like putty in their hands...glad I have little to do with 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in