Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Does warranty cover it? Wood grain dash board cracked! Rear window shade sticky gu.

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ThePatriot 
#1 ·
Hello! I recently bought my 07 CLS 550 (CPO, 7yrs/100k Warranty). :D

I never noticed it before but I saw a huge crack on the wood grain dash board on the passenger side. I don't believe that I caused it since I bought the car yesterday! Also, when I tried using the rear window shade, I notice that there is a semi-hard sticky gu on the window shade. I would remove it if I could!

Anyway, I was wondering if the 7yrs/100k warranty cover the cracked dash board? How about that sticky gu?

Has anyone else experienced this? :confused:

#7 · (Edited)
The most often heard Mercedes-Benz mantra when it comes to warranties is "if it's not specifically mentioned then it's not covered". If the warranty says interior components or something along those lines, and some language is intentionally vague to cover these instances, then you're ok. I don't recall specific warranty language but my experience with MBZ warranty service has always been outstanding so I'd lay odds you're covered.

#9 · (Edited)
The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship. It's not clear how the goo on your sunshade would be a defect in materials and workmanship, unless Mercedes service can find a contributing cause.

It should also cover defects in the interior trim pieces. However, I wonder how your wood trim could get a 'huge crack' in it. These trim pieces are really aluminum forms with a thin veneer of real wood held on by adhesive. They are engineered not to crack in case of an accident. Splinters flying around are not a good thing. Even if they're damanged it would be more of a dent than a crack. In any case, as a CPO car it should have been brought up to like new conditioning as part of it's inspection (yeah, don't laugh too hard). So You could have a case to take it back to the dealer and make him fix it. Good luck.

#11 ·
Neil raised an interesting point. CPO cars are supposed to have a thorough 150+ point inspection by a dealer before MB will issue that warranty. A huge crack in the dash and the goo on the rear sunshade should have already been fixed or repaired before you bought the car. I don't understand how at least the trim crack could have been overlooked, but in my opinion, they should have found both of these. If I were you, and at this point, I would be questioning just how carefully your car has been inspected.

#13 · (Edited)
I went to the Anaheim MB Dealer today and they replaced my dashboard speaker. :D They said that they don't have the wood trim in stock but it is on order. :thumbsup: The good thing about is that it's all free!!! :D

As for the rear sunshade... :surrender: Well, they said there's no mechanical error... If I was to get it cleaned up, it'll cost $1.6k to replace it... :eek: Screw that!!! ...just for a sunshade? Oh well...mechanically it's moving fine. :cool:

#16 ·
As for the rear sunshade...Well, they said theirs no mechanical error... If I was to get it cleaned up, it'll cost $1.6k to replace it...
I'd try to figure out what the goo is and find the proper solvent to get it off. Maybe something simple (and easily obtainable) like Goo Gone would do the trick. If it's chewing gum like I guessed earler, you can likely freeze that with an ice cube and peel it off.

#19 ·
Thanks for posting the video, I could see it pretty well; that's a mess isn't it?. Between my Goo Gone answer and Kajtek1's WD-40 I don't know what might work better but I seriously doubt either would hurt the shade material. Another thing you could try is some good brand of Bug & Tar remover. I would try Meguiar's (i just like them) but there must be a couple of dozen out there.

#21 ·
We have the same problem with out 2006 CLS 55 AMG. The dash began developing these small cracks a few inches apart--looks like where mounting points might be behind the panel. They've grown substantially. The dealer wouldn't cover them under warranty; which leaves us to decide if we replace what we expect to be an expensive panel with another likely to be cheaply designed or ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.