LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HELP!!!! Any suggestions? Thank you!

Can anyone help me out? About 2 months ago, the "engine check" came on and the car started running strange. It wouldn't start correctly, sometimes not at all. The engine would turn but not turn over. So I purchased a code machine, in hopes of finding out what was wrong, the cheap way. It came up with a "throttle position sensor" and a "camshaft position sensor". I took it to benz, they claimed it was not the throttle position sensor but just the camshaft position sensor. After finding out the cost, I purchased it online and took it to pepboys. They fix it, runs okay but now starts to rev certain times and other times there wouldn't be enough gas it seemed and the car would rev too low, but not die, just start shaking at a very, very low idle. Not to mention, the camshaft position sensor is still on when I use the code machine. Anyway, I bring it back to benz, this time they claim it's the "air flow mass sensor". Fine, brought it home, ordered the part online and did it myself this time (they wanted $700 or so, I did it for $55 plus a set of polygonal tamper proof wrenches). Now, the engine light goes off, BUT it still is idling strangly. So here I am, 2 sensors fixed (camshaft position sensor and MAF) and now I'm thinking it's the oxygen sensors. By the way, the "check engine" light was off for about 5 days, then it came back on. Did I hurt the new "air mass sensor" by not fixing the oxygen sensors I wonder? Or is it even the oxygen sensors? When I hook up that machine, I get a bunch of code readings, all the same for the most part. They read:

bank 1 and 2 too rich and too lean.

What would cause the banks to run lean/rich? Obviously the low idling or too high of idling is being caused by too much gas or too little or too much air or too little, which makes sense as it correlates with the "bank 1 and 2 too rich and too lean" message.

Anyone? Thanks!

Last edited by enap66; 05-10-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A faulty oxygen sensor will make your car run too rich. I have no idea why it is too lean on one bank and too rich on the other.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
A faulty oxygen sensor will make your car run too rich. I have no idea why it is too lean on one bank and too rich on the other.
Thanks for the reply. It's not too rich or lean in one or the other but in both. In other words, there are two banks. Bank 1 and Bank 2. The code reader comes up as bank 1 too rich, then comes up as too lean. Then the code reader comes up with Bank 2 too rich and then too lean.

Strange.... but I don't think it's the oxygen sensors, cause it makes sense that it would have to be all 4 of the oxygen sensors to be doing that. In other words, it must be 1 unit only since what are the odds of every oxygen sensor stop working at the same exact time? Nill if you ask me. But then again, I'm not a mechanic so.... Any other suggestions? And thanks again.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
OK, thanks for explaining that further, I obviously mis-understood. My only further thoughts are concerning your scanner; are you sure it is giving you accurate readings? You might pop over to a PepBoys or Autozone and see what theirs says. I certainly agree that all 4 O2 sensors could not have failed at the same time. By the way, I am not a mechanic either. You're welcome and good luck.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
It might help if you told us the year and model you have. There are subforums dedicated to different chassis. A search of that specific forum could help as well.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in