LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ill see what i can get and post them ASAP. The shop had it for weeks trying to figure out what part was wrong. I just know that i drove through water on the passenger side, and there was some sitting water on rear passenger floor board. after that, the car hasnt turned over at all. thats why i figured it might of been rear SAM module. Im gonna call shop and see what they can tell me about all the codes and stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theptowneagles View Post
Ill see what i can get and post them ASAP. The shop had it for weeks trying to figure out what part was wrong. I just know that i drove through water on the passenger side, and there was some sitting water on rear passenger floor board. after that, the car hasnt turned over at all. thats why i figured it might of been rear SAM module. Im gonna call shop and see what they can tell me about all the codes and stuff.
Good idea, the codes should reveal a lot

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2003 E320
Quote:

Hi, I am encountering the very same priblem with my 2000 W220 s430, and no one can figure it out since it happened. Can you please let me know what was causing the problem in your car? thanks in advance.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i know this is an old post but if you guys drove through water and this happened, it has nothing to do with the eis, more then likely your engine injested water and damaged the engine. the reason it doesnt start is the cylinders are all full of water and the engine cant compress water. if it doesnt turn by hand, remove the spark plugs and again try. if it still doesnt turn by hand you have severe internal engine damage, a bent rod is the cause for it not turning over.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Hi Streetglower, how are you? I assumed the mechanics had checked for the obvious ie water in the engine. But one should never assume anything.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
#16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
when i turn the key, the headlights or dash lights do nothing.
You mean they do not dim? They remain bright?

You have a W220, right? (it could be a late W140..)

Even if your starter is toast, there should be 2 (simultaneous) clicks when you turn the ignition key to the starter posn.

1. from the starter relay (K40/7kL) located in the fuse & relay box (K40/7) that is situated in the right engine compartment. Relay is L (second from rear in direction of travel)

2. from the solenoid located right next to the starter, accessed from under the car.

You can feel with your hand if the starter relay is operating if you remove the fuse box cover. Do that and report back.

Oh.. shit - this post is a year old

Last edited by keyhole; 09-13-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: just noticed the date of the post
#17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetglower View Post
i know this is an old post but if you guys drove through water and this happened, it has nothing to do with the eis, more then likely your engine injested water and damaged the engine. the reason it doesnt start is the cylinders are all full of water and the engine cant compress water. if it doesnt turn by hand, remove the spark plugs and again try. if it still doesnt turn by hand you have severe internal engine damage, a bent rod is the cause for it not turning over.
Well worth adding this to an old thread, quite odd that nobody (including myself) commented about hydro-lock, the description is clear anyway. Perhaps because of the explicit question from the owner.
#18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Well worth adding this to an old thread, quite odd that nobody (including myself) commented about hydro-lock, the description is clear anyway. Perhaps because of the explicit question from the owner.
OK, but how deep would the water have to be to enter the engine? Presumably only via the air intakes.. He didn't say he had been in a river..

Is there a fusible link that protects the starter if the engine is hydro-locked as you suggest?
#19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2010
I own a 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500 - I recently was very frustrated when I began to have problems starting my car. I could turn the key, the steering wheel would position, all the instrument lights would come on but when I tried to start the car - absolutely nothing would happen. It spent a day at the dealership who told me this was a battery problem - It just did not sound like a battery problem to me but I trusted them when he presented the computer analysis that said everything else was perfect.

I drove home and it started fine when I parked it. Upon leaving for the evening - guess what - It would not start.

I found the information on this website that said I should hear 2 clicks when starting - so I had my wife start the car while I listened and observed the fuse relay panel under the hood on the passenger side. I could hear the relay click in the panel but never heard the starter relay click sound from underneath the car. There were several relays with the same part number so I swapped the 050 marked relays and the car starts perfectly now. I will buy a new 050 relay and replace the bad one.

I like this site so much better than the local dealership.

Thanks! guys!
#20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
OK, but how deep would the water have to be to enter the engine? Presumably only via the air intakes.. He didn't say he had been in a river..

Is there a fusible link that protects the starter if the engine is hydro-locked as you suggest?
sometimes it depends on the senerio. you can be driving through a small puddle and the issue could happen. if you hit the high water fast enough the water can be sucked into the intake thus getting sucked into the engine. othertimes yes a car drives slowly down a street and the water level gets up to the front bumper and the water gets sucked in the intake. nothing protects the starter if the engine takes in water. sometimes the water alone can damage the starter, othertimes trying numerous times to start a locked engine kills the starter as it heats up.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.