Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Do you prefer: benzworld.org OR mbworld.org?

3K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  MB-SV 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but do you all prefer this site or mbworld.org. Why?

I like this site and the community on it. One thing I don't like is how I have to scroll down past all the ads to get to forum lists and posts. Annoying.

#2 ·
I don't think I prefer one over the other. Here we do not have the W212 sections which is a big mistake. :D But both are equal with the C207. A minor problem with the US forums but the high activity compensates that, easy to get quick answers for questions on both forums.

Which adds are you talking about? I'm using firefox and don't see any adds that I don't want to see.

#3 ·
Neither is ideal, I used to be more there than here, quit there due to stupid policies, sometimes get close to that here, too.

Site appearance and navigation are a secondary concern to me. Community, content and policy are far more important.

As to appearance, I'm with DB, though, Firefox and Ad Block plus shuts down most of that ad crap, not just here but all over the web. Yahoo and MSN are both pretty ad intensive, too.

If you know what you're doing you can tweak IE setting to block lots of ads, but if you're a Safari user I have no suggestions. Well, one, spring for a premium membership and you can configure your profile to avoid ads, too..

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, we know EXACTLY what you are talking about and DB and I have told you EXACTLY how to get rid of it. Below is a screenshot of this thread from the top, running Firefox and Ad Block Plus. What ads do you see? If all you're going to do is get mad, then go ahead and get mad, but complaining won't avail you much --if anything.

And by the way, what do you pay the site to be here? Of course there are ads, someone has to pay the bills, right? Servers and bandwidth are not free. So you have a few choices, either pay to be a member, find a creative solution around it, whine, or choose another site. Capisce?

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
I've been to so many forums that correct me if I am wrong?
Is mbworld.org the forum where sleepwalker USED to be priceless help?
I had personal beef with moderator so my opinion is too personal, but on the other hand I am Internet veteran and I've been to tens if not hundreds forums, meeting hundreds if not thousands moderators.
Out of that number I have personal respect to 3, maybe 4 of them.
Ron is on the list.

#10 ·
Out of that number I have personal respect to 3, maybe 4 of them.
Ron is on the list.
Capice ?
This is German car lovers site.
I think "kapish" would be more appropriate :D
Hmm...I guess using Italian means I'm not on the respect list. ;)

I was trying to make the point in a way he could understand....and The Godfather is respected in the Fatherland, too.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#11 ·
Per my experience Germans evolved quite a bit in post WWII generations. The older people think totally different about other nations, than the younger generation. The older not likely would respect Italians.
Than even German and Italian have quite different pronunciation, they both have roots in Latin. Meaning they share the same words.
And I checked the dictionaries. None of "capice" or "kapish" are in Italian, or German official vocabulary. ;)

#20 ·
Kajtek & Greg echo a point I wanted to convey. I nosed around MBworld, but 'feel' more at home in my 163 & 208 hangouts. Honestly I can't say I don't like MBworld, I just love hanging out with you guys much better! Site size, adds included, is not the no-go for me. As Greg pined, hell somebody is paying for this stuff!--that's business, but if you want true, bonafied, & harshly honest commentary on an issue or mech. problem benzworld is your place from what I have found. Not to sound overly perverse in my common community assumptions, but many here all love this quirky machine :) Arguably, isn't it a fact that MB is THE oldest car maunufacturer on the planet?--correct me if I'm soft in that fact. It is a hell of idea that FAR in Africa, Greg on his island, 43 in his obscurity, my southern fried friend Mitch, & Boca in the good life, can tell me what/where/when & maybe why my MB isn't doing what I want...& just maybe counter the 28 yr old moron in the SA dept. I feel more confident knowing that folks here from Bahrain to Baha can have the same stupid stuff happen to their car or truck, so I dont' feel SOL & that I'm not crazy when it happens to me, and that I do not own a Jaguar! lol.

#21 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but do you all prefer this site or mbworld.org. Why?
I like this site and the community on it. One thing I don't like is how I have to scroll down past all the ads to get to forum lists and posts. Annoying.
Answer to your question: Yes.

Scrolls will be a fact of life, whatever the name. A search, is a search, is a search.

#23 · (Edited)
No need whatsoever to make a mental choice of which is preferred.

Benzworld is best in the diesel areas because Drivbiwire is a member.

Otherwise they're both kind of ok.

Kind of fun to go "slumming," as I often do.

VW TDI forums, for example, filled with lots of folks that believe in mechanical mythology. (They're young and broke.)

Sprinter van forum filled with folks that have never had a Mercedes before and think they can maintain their Sprinter like they did their Chevy, i.e. with a crescent wrench.

It's just the nature of Mercedes in the USA, I guess, that "20-inch wheel" questions appear in both. Easy to ignore, of course.

#26 ·
What's in a name?

I'm the new kid in the block, so I bow to your choosing. As long as you think is the best bet for this club. The name will identify us, but the spirit will be our contributions and support to one another.

Cheers and thanks for the benefits, JV

#28 ·
Interesting to hear about mbworld being more "newer generation" and benzworld being a bit more older generation. Good way to put it.

People keep raving about Firefox...maybe one day when I muster up the energy to learn a new browser, I'll give it a shot.

#29 ·
People keep raving about Firefox...maybe one day when I muster up the energy to learn a new browser, I'll give it a shot.
Don't be an old fart. Go with new, better technology. Took me few months before I spend time to search web for Firefox download, but IE on my older laptop not only was going extremely slow, but it was draining batteries in less than one hour. Seems all the spies IE attract take over the command.
Now with the Firefox I can use laptop in the Whirlpool for over 2 hr
On the other hand I get so used to advertisements, that "don't see" them. Some forum hava an ad every 5=th reply between replies. That annoys me only occasionally when I take add for member reply.

#30 ·
I think it is a draw.

Positive: Both sites have enough community membership that you can usually get good answers in a short amount of time. One can both impart information and learn.

Negative (mbworld): The moderators at mbworld have, at times, gotten to be a PITA. Some think it is due to sponsor pressure. While I haven't had a problem, some of their moves have certainly been questionable the last few years.

Negative (benzworld): The Off Topic forum has become so politicized over the years that I consider it to be some of the most wasted space on the internet, IMHO. Your opinion may differ and is just as valid as mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.