post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: w202 c180 auto Elegance
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New (to me) C180 . . . . .

I've been hovering round the forums for the last few weeks, picked up lots of useful tips. Thought it was about time I put a hello on here.

This is my second MB, I had a 190e when I was at university, but it died on me

I got the C180 from a chap on ebay and everyday I find something new that he either failed to mention or downright lied about

The remote locking (it's not working because the remote just needs new batteries) ok, I know I'm a sucker for believing that one. It turned out to be not too bad. The red light was coming on the key when you pressed the button, but when you pointed it at a digital camera - you couldn't see the blue of the signal. I pulled the key apart (not too tricky if you watch out where the bits came from) and the IR bulb bit, just fell off the circuit board. I'm guessing that this is what kills these keys most of the time. A friend from over the road re-soldered the board (took him 2 mins and cost me 1 pint of beer) The central locking works beautifully now.

The car had an annoying ticking sound from the front of the engine - checked the threads on here and narrowed it down to the damper on the serp belt tensioner. Now the garage have that fixed, and cleaned out the throttle body, she is running nicely (but just a little rough for a MB)

On the way home from the garage I noticed that the temp wasn't getting much past the 60 degree mark. I took the thermostat housing off this morning and no thermostat. I am getting a new one on Thursday but my big worry is, why did the previous owner feel it was a good idea to run without it. It's not the most expensive part on the car. The coolant pump was recently changed and I'm hoping that the owner removed the thermostat, when the pump started playing up, in order to keep her cool. Fingers crossed that it's nothing more.

This has been less of a hello and more of a gripe I love being back driving behind the three pointed star. I know the c180 is underpowered, but I live in Norfolk (no hills) and why hurry when you're sat in your favourite place in the world.

Big thank you to all the geniuses on here
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: