LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my first benz

hi guys, I am new to this forum, reason I'm here is because I am in the market for a new car.
I was looking into the s500 or s55 Benz. (2000-2005ish)
but the thing is i never owned a benz. I dont know how reliable or expensive they are to maintain. I Know every car has its problems and require maintenance but how good are the S-class benz?
Another rumor I've heard was, the parts are stupidly expensive.

Id rather get a non-biases opinion and perspective from an actual benz owner.
can you guys help me out?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
benzopinion

Welcome. Almost any Benz is a good choice. They are great cars. Reliable and solid.

Forums such as this are a good place to start but just be aware of one thing; the main reason people post on this forum or one like it is to get help for a maintenance problem. One can get a false sense of unreliability or difficulty to repair by reading the postings. When the car is running well and with no problems, people seldom post. I think if you find a similar forum for Fords or Chevys you would get the same impression.

Parts are readily available for even the oldest Benz and the cost is reasonable particularly if you shop the internet instead of going straight to the dealer. The older cars are also surprisingly easy to work on if you want to DIY.

We presently have a 2008 E320 deisel and a 1988 560SL. Although the E320 is a wonderful car, my personal preference is older models. I drive the 560SL daily and my favorite Benz sedan of all time is my old 1984 W123 300D.

Hope you decide to buy and join us.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
yea i see what you're saying,

if i do purchase this benz, it would be my daily driver for the year,
so how are they in the winter? traction control is good?

so overall they are solid cars? is there alot of electronical problems?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Well no cars are perfect.S-class benz is an excellent car.Its just awesome to drive& its features are simply sensational.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Rocky is right. Go to the W220 forum and you'll find out what you need to know. In a nutshell, you'll be told to steer clear of the '00-'02/early '03 models because of problems with the Airmatic in particular, and the electronics. I have an '04--that year model gets the 7-speed transmission and the DVD-based nav system (rather than 12 CDs). General consensus is get '04 or later, stay away from the 12-cylinder models unless you've got a fat wallet and GOT to have the speed, and think whether you need 4-matic or not. The 4-matics are not problematic, but they get only the 5-speed, have lots of extra moving parts, and seem to be a little less economical than the 2WD versions. My '04 has been trouble-free in the 15k miles I've owned it and it is a wonderful vehicle. It's deceptively fast, drives smaller than it is, will surprise a rice-burner in the twisties, dead stone luxurious, and I'm averaging 22+ mpg in mixed driving (with a relatively light foot).

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
i just digged up a few good threads
( http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post1902648 )

and i see where you're comming from, i guess i will look further more into this, thanks for your honest reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in