Is it ok to get tires from Just Tires or somewhere similar instead of the dealer? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2006 C230 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually run "H" rated tires since I don't go much above 100 mph and I've found them a good compromise between handling and wear. When I had to replace the rear tires on my C230, that's what I decided to do. My friendly tire guy informed me that it's illegal to put tires with a lower speed rating than originally fitted. I could, of course buy the tires, take them home and mount them, but that's not really an option. So after some consultation, I picked a set of Pirellis, and they're wearing just fine.
I think he actually gets his tires from Tire Rack since that's the price I paid, plus installation. He carries a very small inventory but can get next-day service, or, if he catches the truck before it leaves Orlando, the same day. I have bought tires from WalMart, but they don't take reservations and even though I'm retired, spending four or five hours in a cramped waiting room is no fun. The finay straw was when they didn't balance one tire I went home via I-95 and when I got up to 80 mph, it vibrated so bad i thought Ihad a flat. I took it back and spent 3 hours waiting, and The tire manager wasn't at all apologetic.
BTW: Iv'e owned my car 2 years as of last week and the dealer sent my car a birthday card!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK320; 2006 CLK350 Cabriolet; 2011 E350 Cab; 2014 E550 Cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I have a 2003 CLK. I pretty much drive slow like a grandma, (I go exactly 65 mph on the fwy etc), I don't need crazy performance or anything like that.

Is it a lot cheaper to get tires from a place like Just Tires vs going to the dealer, what kind of price difference am I looking at?

And if I go to a place like Just Tires, what kind of tires do you suggest for me?
Jackie,

As others have said, you certainly don't need to buy your tires from the MB dealer. I, again like others have said, like Tire Rack. What I did was go on-line to their web site and enter my cars' information, which brought up all the tires they had in stock that met my cars' specifications. Then, while still on-line, I called Tire Rack and discussed my options with one of their very professional sales people. He confirmed my choice, and suggested a very nice set of rims that were German made. Without his help, I'd have had no idea about rim selection.

And oh, by the way, please, please don't drive here in Connecticut, as we really don't need any more "slow" drivers, who only drive at "exactly 65 MPH." Unless of course you're talking about driving at 65 in a 40 MPH zone.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in