post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1990 2.6L 190E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Old Car/New Member

Hey guys...I'm the proud 1.5 year owner of a black 1990 MB 190 E. It's the 2.6L engine with tons of probs... and a mysteriously perfect interior.

I am slowly working my way through various problems with the engine/AC/tranny etc.. It's been rough, but I really like the car (aka: can't afford anything else).

Anyway... I'm glad to be posting on benzworld and I look forward to all the expert help that I no doubt need. Let's get started....

First of all, the tachometer has not worked since I have owned it, and it currently sits on 176,000 miles.

When I purchased the car, I immediately drove it out to California, and got stuck about 45 miles outside of San Fran with a blown transmission (after changing oil and checking all fluid levels, I might add)... $600 dollars later and it was on the floor of the local transmission repair shop in Norman, Oklahoma. I had the transmission rebuilt for $800 and was thereafter charged an extra $500 which I never paid b/c they decided that I owed this amount after the work...(probably jinx'd myself with that one). Anyway, they got their $800, and I got the same 'ol worthless transmission.

After the first rebuild, the transmission worked well for about a year...then the problem surfaced again. This time, however, the transmission worked for second gear and third but would not shift to fourth.(the first time it just wouldn't shift at all)... I made the mistake of replacing the fluid, and ended up with "disintegrated bands" (or so the transmission guy said). I then, replaced the Fan Clutch (b/c I heard that this could cause the transmission to overheat even when the engine never had - still unsure about this one??)

Then I was returning home to Dallas when my transmission kept "falling" out of gear... (or slipping from 4th to 3rd).. To fix it this time I spent another $800 on a rebuild all over again and now it is shifting really hard, taking a while to shift when I jump in and take off in the morning, shifting from 1st to 4th very quickly (say all before reaching 30mph when warmed) and rattling quite a bit while I am in gear (but stopping when I shift into P or N)..... I returned the car to the transmission guy.... with these complaints. He made an adjustment to the cable that controls the shift timing??? and it caused it to rev up higher before shifting... but still shifts hard.... and continues to shift into gear in consecutive higher gears in an oddly quick procession.

While I was driving with the transmission mechanic, we talked about the idle, and he told me that engine idle problems/missing may caused the transmission to slip hard. I am wondering if this is true.

I am now working on resolving the check engine light (idle/miss problems that I am currently experiencing).. I have checked the diagnostic code by reading the instructions on this forum and have coded out a 10, 16, 17, and 29.. from all of this it appears that my EGR valve, and O2 sensor are bad, possibly even a vacuum leak? Any other suggestions?

How can I check for a vacuum leak at home? Is there any way to clean the EGR valve? Is there a way to test the O2 sensor? Are there any alternative parts/brands that can be used to replace these parts without purchasing the more expensive MB branded parts?

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to the order in which I should attack my problems?

Here are other symptoms:
1. the car burns oil but does not noticeably smoke from the exhaust (there is no noticeable oil leak, but I can see that oil or some other fluid is causing a greasy build up under the motor).
2. The car idles considerably well when I first get in and the car has not had much time to warm up... however, when it heats up and begins to shift at lower RPM (see above) the car begins to idle rough.
3. It has never died on me.

Thanks for any and all help!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in