post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need your recommendation on a mirror

Hi guys,

I have lurked around here for a couple of months and I finally have a question to ask. I have a white ‘99 E430 with less than 50k miles on it. What a beautiful and great driving car! Well it didn’t take too long to wipe out the driver side mirror & fender. The outer cover of the mirror is scratched but not horrible. Something internal is broken, because the mirror drops down away from the car but the electric adjustment still works.

So looking around the internet and eBay I have found a used mirror, without the cover, from a Mercedes junkyard for $525.

I was checking one of the forum advertisers and they offer a used “Mirror Assemblies” for $143 Adsit Company, Inc. | Shopping Cart but there is not much of a description on what you get for that price.

I also found the “Kool Vue Mirror” for $140 shipped. The ad states that the mirror is, “A High Quality, Direct Fit OE Replacement Side Mirror, With Memory". Looking at the picture it looks pretty close.

I figure this is what the insurance company would buy for a replacement?

So I am wondering if any of you have used or know about the “Adsitco” (forum ad) used mirrors and the aftermarket “Kool Vue” mirrors?

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Adsit has a so so rating from many members, I have no idea who Kool View is, but the memory does not reside in the mirror itself. I would find an OEM recycled part.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML 320
if the actual mirror keeps falling out,it might not be broken,the way these mirrors are attached is kinda delicate and they pop out kinda easily,so make sure that you still have that metal clip-wire on attached to the back of the mirror(one on the top and one on the bottom ,both going horizontally) and the way to secure them in place u gotta sorta play a little bit with them until they click correctly in place.

You might wanna check on that before you go around shopping for such an expensive mirror.

Hey!...If You See Kaye,tell her i love her okay?!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Fixed the mirror on my E300 for ZERO dollars. I wrote up the procedure in the 210 section. There are other write ups there too as well as a U tube video showing the different fixes.

Len
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi guys,

I will check out the other threads.

The glass is fine and the electrical adjustment of the mirror still works. Basically I was backing up and hit a sign poll and wacked it pretty hard. It looks like where the mirror attaches at the top part of the mount something is broken, because it drops away from the door about an inch or two. I can push it back up to the car and it stays for awhile.

Is there an exploded view of how the mirror attaches to the car somewhere?

Are there replacement parts for the mirror assemble or is this one of those deals, if the part breaks you have to replace the whole mirror assemble?

The car is in CA and I am in NC so I won’t be able to look at it again until May.

Thanks for all the help!

Jeff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML 320
these mirrors u gotta use a bit of muscle to get them out,to get the actual mirror off the door,you gotta grab de cover area and pull it in as in you were trying to close the mirror(it's gonna give you plenty of resistance) once you do that you should be able to see 3 screws that hold the mirror to the door itself,i think they are located in a "triangular" way,so just stick in your phillips screwdriver in a get them out,getting the cover off the mechanism its more tricky,there's a clip behind the mechanism to were the actual plastic cover clips on to,you gotta stick something very thin in there and lift it up or get it to unclip,just play with it,then the cover should just slide off

Hey!...If You See Kaye,tell her i love her okay?!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the advice! I will see what I can do.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in