Why Mercedes? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm I the only one that seems to think Mercedes is losing its "poise"? It just seems to matter less nowadays. It must be the competition.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1) It's not.
2) Anyone who wants one and can afford it (somewhat of a meaningless question)

"Mercedes: Expensive and Built to Stay That Way"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: MB W201 190 E
Send a message via Yahoo to Raju
Originally Posted by last72stop View Post

I am researching Mercedes-Benz for one of my classes at York College of Pennsylvania. I have two simple questions that I am asking you to respond to you as soon as you can:

1. What makes Mercedes-Benz better than other luxury car brands such as BMW, Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti?

2. Who should own a Mercedes-Benz?

Thanks in advance,
1. Quality, quality, quality, next comes safety, prestige, innovation, design, looks, pedigree, attention to detail, service etc., etc.,. To get a feel of the Mercedes Mystique, read the history of the marque.

For starters you can look up MB at Wikipedia, and the many sites on various models available on the net, your collage and your local library may also have many books which will give you lots of info on MBs.

I will attempt to describe the MB mystique in a few words, open an MBs door and shut it, believe me no other car's door will give you that reassuring thud that an MBs door sounds as it closes shut. The well oiled sound as you crank the engine and it fires into life and settles down to a steady tick over, the smooth feel of the switches weather the car is brand new or a couple of decades old, the way the hood and trunk open and the smooth sound when you close them, the timeless elegance as the car ages ever so geacefully, and the sheer thrill of getting down from an MB when you reach your destination, absolutely priceless.

All this from an MB of any vintage, reasonably mantained.

2. Anyone who wants the joy and thrill of owning a fine and prestigious automobile, one who enjoys the finer things of life.

Good luck with your project.

Drive safe,
From beautiful & exotic India.

Last edited by Raju; 03-15-2009 at 08:53 AM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Not a concern.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
1. As the creators of the automobile, Mercedes-Benz is rewarded with an important place in history that can never be taken from them by any among of marketing dollars spent by BMW, Lexus, etc. In a thousand years they will still be "the first." This coupled with their virtually indisputable reputation for quality (save for a period of about 10-years) is unsurpassed by other marques.

2. I believe these cars are for anyone who appreciated the highest levels of engineering, not just the rich. Anyone who has long dreamt of owning a Mercedes-Benz can do so, simply for the fact they have been making cars for over a hundred years, there's something out there for anyone at almost any price point. (Bearing in mind of course the very true adage that "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.")

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 03-16-2009 at 09:48 AM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
When people reply with "quality", most know what that is but cannot define it.

If you have ever worked with metal, know tooling, know the business, worked in the business, you can define quality in the individual parts and the sum of the parts.

The sum of the parts is the engineering (definition of each part and how they combine as a whole). Metallurgy is part of the quality. Tolerances are also. etc.

Their engineering and manufacturing innovation is the difference.
Easy to copy once an object exists, difficult (and expensive) to create from one's mind.

All becomes reality from basic elements(earth), and human creativity.

Of course there are the psychological aspects such as the "mystique"
(subjective and individualistic)

Brian O
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2006
I bought a Mercedes because it has prestige, space and safety in one package - after taking into account that I have been driving the same car for the past 4 years (never changed) I think it's also the cheapest yoy

As long as I do not keep changing cars, I do not have to cough up extra cash to feed the dealers; to put it crudely.

They are better because they believe in their cars more than they believed in their customers - W124, W126, W140 are prime examples of this mindset. People may laugh at them but I think they will have the last laugh. Every other carmaker is simply a business but Mercedes is a carmaker. Too bad they turned into a business somewhere along the way too.

Everybody should have the chance to at least put their hands on one before. Mercedes has been beset by too many myths, too many misconceptions. Too many people do not even consider a Mercedes simply because they had been told the wrong things about it. Maybe the driving schools should purchase a fleet of Mercedes for learner drivers - it will definitely change their mindsets in a hurry.

Last edited by SFS650C; 03-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
Hi last72stop,
1 safety, then prestige
2 everybody _should_ own one, alas the price precludes.....
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes S550
I have driven just about all the top cars and the S550 is the best sedan for the money that I have driven. End of story.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2009
(Thread Starter)
Again, great responses. I am using the input for my final research soon, so if anyone has any additional input, now's the time! Thanks
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: