post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: W124 260E, W210 E55, AP1 S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie from Philippines

Hello members. I'm 21 years old, male, from the Philippines. About a week ago, I got this 1989 W124 260E for a steal as a daily driver, for all the nasty things Philippine roads and traffic has to offer. It brings me to my destination comfortably and in style (I think lmao). I use this when I'm not in my juvenille mood to drive my weekend toy

It has 44,592kms on the odometer and it shows mechanically. Unfortunately, aesthetically, the car looks like it traveled alot more than that. The previous owner rarely used this upon his purchase of his newer premium-brand cars. This was his first ever brand new MB, that's the reason why it's the only 'old' car in his garage for many years. A couple of years after the purchase, the owner decided that his other new cars deserved those shaded spots on his house, leaving this W124 battling with tropical weather.

The paint is still original, and it shows many many faded areas particularly in the hood, trunk and roof. The interior is okay, apart from seats and a shiftknob that need to be reupholstered and the driver's seat adjustment switch which I accidentally broke on the 1st day of the car's arrival. Since its purchase, the only thing I've done is to clean the molds (disgusting) off the interior and exterior and new window tints.

Last edited by batangx; 03-03-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: W124 260E, W210 E55, AP1 S2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Engine-wise, I think it just needs some fuel mixture tuning to run in tip-top shape. The only thing that I have done to it is to re-wire the aux fan temporarily as the thermo switch is busted.

Plans for it is to just keep it stock, clean and well maintained. Maybe at most upgrade the audio head unit, a sub and some tweeters and call it a day. I'll be replacing the plugs and will use Royal Purple fully synthetic oil for its oil change this coming weekend. If time permits, I might as well change the ATF just to be safe.

As an additional info, this is my first ever Mercedes-Benz. But, I come from a long line of Benz driving family so this brand is not something I'm unfamiliar with. My father and I never really bothered much about the Mercedes-Benz brand, we are more into modifying Japanese cars for drag racing (mostly DIYs like turbocharging, ECU tuning, etc). But from my great grand father to my uncles and aunties, they all drive MBs. Here are some pics.

My great-grandfather with his Benz (is this really a mercedes?)

Some of the many Mercedes-Benz cars my grandfather has owned through-out his life. As the story goes, during the fuel-crisis, Cadillacs (his preferred brand) stopped coming in here, hence his switch to the MB brand. His first ever MB is the 230SL '67 on the picture which he bought back in 1971 or 1970 (i forgot). Until the time of his death, he drove and rode in MBs.

His MB garage during the late 70's

One of his last MBs that he left on his death, along with a w123 wagon and a W126 300SD

Right now, I have two aunties who both own W210 E230s, two uncles who have been restoring and selling numerous MBs (mostly w123s, w116 and some pre-70's ones too); one of them is currently restoring a 1957 180D. I'll take pictures when I see him.

Cheers to you all.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2000 MB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Must be hard finding parts for them. If found, must be expensive.

I believe I think, so therefore, I think I believe !
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: