in 50 years, can you still order '01 Smartkey from Mercedes? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: '99 E320, '01 E320 wagon, '01 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
in 50 years, can you still order '01 Smartkey from Mercedes?

I stopped by my favourite indy Mercedes mechanic today and had him check out an annoying
exhaust rattle. He fixed it in a few minute by replacing rubber mount.

While I was there, I noticed a 1956 Mercedes 220 in near mint condition.(well, near mint for
a car that's 53 years old ) The owner was there and I asked if I could have a ride in
one of the oldest Mercedes I've personally seen. He agreed and we drove around the block
a few times. Something caught my eyes immediately. He started the car using a remote
start remote controller.(like a keyfob) Apparently he doesn't have any keys to this car
and hardwired the ignition to the remote start.

This made me thing... all three of my MBs use Smartkeys and everybody knows what a pain
it is to get one of these expensive keys.

What if I want to keep one of my W210s for 50 years? Say 2051? I highly doubt the
original Smartkey will still work.... Will I or any future owner still be able to order a
Smartkey from Mercedes in 2051? Since each MB can only have up to 8 Smartkeys, it's not
unreasonable to think that I'll go through 8 keys in 50 years.... What then? Will the
car become useless in 50 year?

The longest time I've kept a car is 21 years, with almost 300,000 miles.(but it was a Volvo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm sure technology will catch up and Mercedes will improvise for replacement keys. I just wonder if we're going to make it past 2012. lol..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenS7 View Post
I'm sure technology will catch up and Mercedes will improvise for replacement keys. I just wonder if we're going to make it past 2012. lol..
well... if we dont' make it past 2012 our Mercedes cars/SUVs will still be here...
whichever species (or aliens) end up running this planet will have to come up
with a way to start these vehicles, no?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Actually the mechanical locks are the ones that cost big troubles with the age.
Why electronic key should not work in 50 years?
As long as you can buy batteries.
BTW my 1973 bus conversion has electronic alternator regulator, what is like 2x5x10" box.
Still working like a charm.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 02-24-2009 at 08:37 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy_moore View Post
well... if we dont' make it past 2012 our Mercedes cars/SUVs will still be here...
whichever species (or aliens) end up running this planet will have to come up
with a way to start these vehicles, no?
Nah, I'm sure the vehicles they come with will be near eternal light years ahead of ours.

Hey look what I found! Those gay things have enthusiasts!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenS7 View Post
Nah, I'm sure the vehicles they come with will be near eternal light years ahead of ours.

Hey look what I found! Those gay things have enthusiasts!
What are you saying?

John Roberts, the current Chief Justice of The United States Supreme Court
drives one of those PT Cruisers.... (when he was nominated, I saw him drive
his PT Cruiser to the White House on CNN)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
What are you saying?

John Roberts, the current Chief Justice of The United States Supreme Court
drives one of those PT Cruisers.... (when he was nominated, I saw him drive
his PT Cruiser to the White House on CNN)

I think it's funny. Sorry. LOL
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well, so far mercedes is doing better on support than Honda. My previous honda, when 10 years old had a remote that failed. Honda said, we no longer support them, and checking around there were NO dealers in the country that had one. So I was stuck with 1 remote, what a PITA. It was unique enough none to be had on ebay, and like the Mercedes, universal remotes wouldn't work.

So if my wife locked the car with the remote, and I used the key to open it guess what, alarm goes off and car won't start with key! Had to crawl under the dash and push the alarm reset button to drive.

Needless to say, that, along with a long list of problems and anoyances on that and a previous Honda soured me on Honda.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
Well, so far mercedes is doing better on support than Honda. My previous honda, when 10 years old had a remote that failed. Honda said, we no longer support them, and checking around there were NO dealers in the country that had one. So I was stuck with 1 remote, what a PITA. It was unique enough none to be had on ebay, and like the Mercedes, universal remotes wouldn't work.

So if my wife locked the car with the remote, and I used the key to open it guess what, alarm goes off and car won't start with key! Had to crawl under the dash and push the alarm reset button to drive.

Needless to say, that, along with a long list of problems and anoyances on that and a previous Honda soured me on Honda.

I'm surprised... you sure there's isn't
a class action lawsuit against Honda
because of this?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I'm surprised... you sure there's isn't
a class action lawsuit against Honda
because of this?
Why? Honda didn't do anything wrong or illegal. May not be the best business practice, but that's another issue, not a legal issues.

IIRC federal vehicle laws only require mfg to provide "best effort" support for 10 years after mfg. that's exactly what Honda did in my case. The fact that mercedes provides (a) parts for so long and (b) to the detail they do for small parts is enviable but certainly not anything that is legally required.

And IMHO there are way to many "class action lawsuits" for anybody's good.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input

Last edited by e-420; 02-25-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in