LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealing with a horrible dealer for service

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with a horrible dealer for servicing? I live in a smaller town, Normal IL, and they are the only dealer around for miles. Their service organization is completely incompetent. Here are some examples:
Took my 2006 ML350 in (still under warranty), for a chirp in the engine. They had it all day, said they fixed it, before I pull out of the garage, chirp starts again. Took them 2 more tries to get it fixed.

Next time, I went in for a service B and had a headlight out. I pull out of the garage and headlight goes out, I asked if they changed it and they replied, oh we jiggleded it and it came back on. It is a Mercedes, I can pop for a new lightbulb.

I had the resivoiur on my power steering go out. I paid for new part and they would call when it came in. 3 weeks later, I call them and they responded, we installed that already. Are you kidding me, I think I would have noticed me going to get my car serviced!

I have several more, but the worst was the last one. My engine started backfiring, with 65,466 miles on it. Took it in on a Wednesday expected a call say by Friday with a clue as to what was wrong, nothing, no call. I called them and they said tomorrow they would have more. This went on for 36 days!! I got to a point where I only called once every 5-7 days or so, but never once did they call me. So, 36 days, they have no loaners, no calls, I finally called MB USA and they helped a little and eventually covered most of the costs, but still the dealer was crap. I called Mercedes of Westmont, IL (150 miles away) to speak with an advisor to just get advice and the guy was even willing to act as a middle man dealing with my current dealership. of course the service advisor at Suds Mercedes in Normal literally flipped and hung up on me at the very notion, but this is the service I expect from Mercedes.
So, I got my ML350 back finally, but where do I go from here? I am screwed and Mercedes really doesn't seem to care and the dealer clearly doesn't.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go to another dealer, or go to an Independent shop. Once a car falls out of warranty, there is no reason to go to the dealer for any type of service besides recall work. The wonderful Alabama build quality doesn't seem to be helping you either. That could be part of the problem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: w211 E320 wagon 4M / Bluetec / Ford SD. Seeking affordable diesel pushmower
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Find good independent for regular service and complain to MBUSA.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Personally I would post your experiences somewhere online like or a video explaining the poor service to youtube, or both! Once that is done, I would email the dealership and say you will be happy to revise the posts with the dealer's resolution and gladly lavish them with praise once you are satisfied. I have had very good luck in the past with this method but you must try to remain factual and accurate. Don't use it to blackmail the dealer, that's not right either, and keep the info you post to facts only, don't libel yourself publicly. This is simply you stating your experience with this dealer, as a warning to others. Also complain to the BBB, if the dealer is a member, and most are, they are obligated to respond to any complaints submitted to the BBB.
In this day we are more empowered as consumers than ever with the ease and widespread visibility offered by the internet. This dealer is shameful by treating you in this way just because you have few options, and I'd bet you aren't the only one. I do agree that should they fail to act, or regardless, find a good Indie near you who appreciates your business.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 02-25-2009 at 12:51 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2012 S550 4Matic
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pelham Brothers in Clinton, IA is close to you.
Many folks from this area (I'm in IA) take their problem children to Steve and his crew.
And Lujacks in Davenport is also very good.

Prior MBs:
1971 250, 1983 380SEL
1986 190E2.3, 1987 300TD
1994, 2003, 2005 SL500s
2001 E320 4Matic
2011, 2012 E350 4Matics
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: