LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
car care products

hi. just wanted to get some feedback on the car care products that i'm using, and also to find out what others are doing.

i'm talking in particular about my 1989 300SE, which is now 20 years old. The colour is white.

I started out using Mercedes's own products...but very frankly i wasn't completely satisfied. Apart from the high purchase price, i don't think they were very good.

in particular i used the paint polish and leather foam cleaner.

i than moved onto Autoglym, using their bodywork shampoo conditioner, instant tyre dressing and clean wheels.

generally very good, but i noticed that after afew hours the tires weren't quite as black as they should have been.

but now i'm trying out the TurtleWax products. Using the ice carewash and ice interior care products, and the scratch & swirl remover (polish), carnuba wax, rim cleaner and tire dressing.

i have got to say that ice range of products is phenomenal, and the scratch / swirl remover is to swear by. The rim cleaner is unbelievable and a week on from putting on the tire dressing, the tires still look 'wet'.
my only aprehension is about their carnuba wax....its good, but i'd like something better.

the retailer was stressing that i stop using carnuba and use their ice synthetic polish. but after years of building up a slippery surface using carnuba, i'm not quite so keen to jump to something synthetic....or am i just being stupid??

The car's surface is 85% like new now....and very very slippery. if you lean against it there's a good chance you'll slip right off!!

i've used other brands on a ad-hoc basis, like Mothers and Meguiar's...but not enough or long enough to pass judgement.

just like some feedback on what i'm using / proposing to use, and of course i'd like to know what others are using.

thanks again.

ps; posted on the w220 and w126 forums as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MERC CARE.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	223086   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUTOGLYM.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	223087   Click image for larger version

Name:	TURTLE.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	223088  

Current:
1965 Mercedes Benz 220SEb (USA)
1971 Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.3 (United Kingdom)
1989 Mercedes Benz 300SE (Pakistan)
2000 Mercedes Benz S430V (United Kingdom)
2000 Mercedes Benz E200 (Pakistan)
2009 Mercedes Benz CL550 (United Kingdom)

Previous:
2006/7 Mercedes Benz S350V (Pakistan)
1995 Mercedes Benz S600V (United Kingdom)
1993 BMW 740i (United Kingdom)

Last edited by mercbuff; 02-20-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The guys in the Detailing and Car Care forum will talk your ears off about how to treat the finish on your car. Like most of the fora here, there are strong opinions about what works and what doesn't, so you might prepare to be insulted for your trouble.

I use the Ice car wash, but I use Poor Boys DS+ detailing spray. It slicks up the surface so well it won't get wet. The clear coat combined with the brilliant silver color make it unnecessary to slather paste wax all over the place. You can see clouds in the hood with the Poor Boys.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in