post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Changes in Company structure and Business focus

Hi Guys,

My name is Andrew and I've been a big fan of mercedes benz for a longtime now however i just havent yet purchased mine yet. Im hoping 2010 will be the year for my first Mercedes benz though.
I am student at the University of Northumbria England and writing on a company that has underwent transformation and has resulted in its achieving much better yields. I chose to write on mercedes benz. So if anyone on the site could help me with information concerning decisions made by the company heads that have made it such a success. Basically drivers that have caused a transformation or change within the company during the last few years. This i would really appreciate.

I love mercedes and would love to submit a proper paper on it. So please if you are interested in supporting this project, could you supply me wit information or links were i can read about organisational changes made within the company which led to success or failure?

Thanks again.

Andrew I.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Loosing $30 billions on Chrysler deal is definitely not success not to mention the suffering in the reputation.
Mercedes has great engineers, but managers or programmers they are not.
Good luck on your project.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 99' C230K
Yes, the 30 billion lost in chrysler deal takes the cake.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBenz518 View Post
Yes, the 30 billion lost in chrysler deal takes the cake.
I agree. Any execs responsible for that should be off the payroll by now.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
The B.S. we heard on this side of the pond about "a merger of equals" as the Chrysler announcement said was known to be nonsense out of the box. German companies do not "merge as equals." They either take over or they are taken over. Sort of like German armies and German politicians. The folks at Chrysler should have heard the Luftwaffe flying over. Mercedes blew up the company, plain and simple.

Whether Chrysler should ever have been a target is debatable. The story was Mercedes was getting some electronic technology (engine management, transmission controllers) and Chrysler was getting suspensions and some help with engines. Chrysler got what they bargained for but Mercedes got cheated. Apparently Chrysler's technological expertise wasn't at all what it was touted to be.

I expect Mercedes knew right away they had been snookered, but German pride being what it is, they tried to make it work to prove the rock-throwers wrong. If they had sold off two years sooner, they might have lost a third of the money.

Everybody on the outside knew it was a bad marriage from the start. The automotive press in the U.S. could make no sense of it. There was lots of head-scratching and muttering about the idiocy of the decision. Nowhere was it said "what a brilliant move."

In the meantime, the quality and reputation of the Mercedes brand had been dealt a giant blow in reality and in image. The 1998-2003 models are a stain on the marque that may never be recovered.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The so-called "Chrysler mistake" has been debated here ad nauseum. To my way of thinking, it was purely a marketing move and had nothing to do with sharing R&D, parts, or engineering. Simply put, Mercedes wanted to incease market share and enhanc it's image in North America and Chrysler was the least expensive of the Big 3 American automakers. Bottom line: Chrysler got better and Mercedesbecame worse during the years mentioned, 1998-2003,and I think into at least the 2004 model year.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 02-18-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Changes
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
And a lot of lawyers, auditors, and investment bankers got richer and ran too. What a waste.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2009
(Thread Starter)
Thank you guys for so much information. Suprising i've got so much in less than 24hours. However DrJfrmLA, is it possible for you to refer me to areas were your information was sourced so i can make references as this sounds very interesting....
Musikmann, if you could assist me on this as well. you can send it to private message box if you wish. Thank you guys in advance. The paper is looking good from here...with all this, i hope to get an A+!
Cheers guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA View Post
The B.S. we heard on this side of the pond about "a merger of equals" as the Chrysler announcement said was known to be nonsense out of the box. German companies do not "merge as equals." They either take over or they are taken over. Sort of like German armies and German politicians. The folks at Chrysler should have heard the Luftwaffe flying over. Mercedes blew up the company, plain and simple.

Whether Chrysler should ever have been a target is debatable. The story was Mercedes was getting some electronic technology (engine management, transmission controllers) and Chrysler was getting suspensions and some help with engines. Chrysler got what they bargained for but Mercedes got cheated. Apparently Chrysler's technological expertise wasn't at all what it was touted to be.

I expect Mercedes knew right away they had been snookered, but German pride being what it is, they tried to make it work to prove the rock-throwers wrong. If they had sold off two years sooner, they might have lost a third of the money.

Everybody on the outside knew it was a bad marriage from the start. The automotive press in the U.S. could make no sense of it. There was lots of head-scratching and muttering about the idiocy of the decision. Nowhere was it said "what a brilliant move."

In the meantime, the quality and reputation of the Mercedes brand had been dealt a giant blow in reality and in image. The 1998-2003 models are a stain on the marque that may never be recovered.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Daimler AG paper

Should I be writing your paper, I would concentrate on researching the morgues of periodicals of renown -e.g. The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, The Times, Ward´s Auto World, The Chicago Tribune-, and inquiring at the P.R. offices of Daimler A.G. and Daimler Chrysler LLC.
My focus would preface a happy company who developed the horseless carriage and continued their successful manufacture until now. But, at the era of mayhem of mergers and acquisitions they gambled with Chrysler, a so far $30B white elephant that they have been unable to sell yet, reason for which they disassociated the American ugly duckling from Stuttgart by creating the independent but wholly owned LLC. So I would concentrate in the balancing act of buying, regretting, getting rid of Chrysler, plus a dip in the general MB quality associated with the XXI century, to which the Company is starting to strongly react (C line + E line to be presented next month at the International Car Show in Germany).
Best of luck with yourr paper.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you haven't already, then I would read Enduring Passion,The Story of the Mercedes-Benz Brand by Leslie Butterfield. This is an excellent easy to read book that is extremely informative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in