BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: '95 E420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry 1995 E420 engine surge

I've search the forums for quite a while with no success so here goes:

I have a 1995 E420 that I got about two years ago. Mileage is about 155,000. It has developed a problem this winter:

Most days, in the morning, it begins to surge while idling a stoplights.
Surges strongly when in Drive, smooths out if I put it in neutral.
Sometimes I can feel it surging even as I accelerate from a stop. It sort of jumps forward a few times while the car speeds up.
It only surges after the engine warms up.
It is worse in cold weather.
Sometimes the red ASR light comes on, the idle jumps up, and it goes into limp mode and I have to restart the car to clear the light. The ASR light only (that I recall) comes on when it's cold out, when I let off the gas or am setting at a stop light.
Sometimes it will be just fine for a day.

The EGR valve checks out okay.
It seems to have all its horsepower.
I disconnected the MAF for a while with no change in symptoms other than the gas mileage dropped from 22mpg to 15.
I have not replaced plugs and wiring or rotor caps.
I looked for vacuum leaks and found one on the EGR, but it didn't help.
I took it to two different mechanics. One kept it three weeks, couldn't figure it out, and wanted to charge me a lot of money to tell me that he guessed it might be this or that. The other admitted that he couldn't figure it out, charged me a half hour labor and suggested I take it to a dealer.
Both checked the codes and found nothing related to the problem.

Any suggestions? It's a blast to drive when it's running well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1997 E420
Happens to my 97 E420. For me it has been the same culprit every time: a loose vacuum line that runs from out under the engine cover.

I've had a chronic problem keeping those plastic lines clean and the rubber hoses sticky enough to maintain long term adhesion. Have a look around for that. Perhaps it's the culprit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Do you know if the wiring harness has been replaced?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shage1966 View Post
Happens to my 97 E420. For me it has been the same culprit every time: a loose vacuum line that runs from out under the engine cover.

I've had a chronic problem keeping those plastic lines clean and the rubber hoses sticky enough to maintain long term adhesion. Have a look around for that. Perhaps it's the culprit.

x2 on my 97 420. have learned to check the vaccum line on the drivers side anytime I take the cover off. However, when mine does it, trouble codes are set. However, on a 95 it may not set codes, depending on if it has OBDII or not. Also check the large line on the passenger side rear of the valve cover, (crankcase vent I believe) more than likely it's falling apart if it hasn't been replaced.

Your symptoms are consistent with a vaccuum leak and the electronics are continuallly trying to compensate but can't. Go through all the vaccum lines on top of the engine with a fine tooth comb, I replaced most of mine, parts were reasonably, especially online.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 95 E420 95 E300 Diesel 93 190E 2.6 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
I have a 95 E420, incredible vehicle. My ASR light has been comming on more frequently recently. I have checked the vacuum lines, sensor wires at the wheels, now I am going to have to take it to a MB tech. He thinks it is throttle actuator. The previous owner did replace the harness, and said he did the throttle actuator. The MB tech doubts if he used a new part, his feelings are, if it was a new part, it would never fail within one year. I tend to agree, and really like this car very much, and I guess i will take the very expensive plunge.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am baffled. This is happening way too often.

If it is a vacuum line and the mechanic did not find the problem is either that he is too busy to dedicate time and effort to something not rentable enough, he is just not trustworthy or lacks equipment, or sees that if he proposes to do a thorough going over to find out what the problems are and put the car to A+ the customer will believe that he is trying to take him for a ride because is a Merc.

It is the same song and dance the world over... Fight it, get into preventive maintenance at the hands of someone you can trust (specially yourself, or otherwise your wallet). And if somebody thinks this is expensive, buy a compact rice burner and save for your grandchildren... Oh, will they be thankful!!!

Bye, guys, JV.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: '95 E420
(Thread Starter)
status report

Yes, this does seem to be a common problem. My current mechanic is working on finding a rebuilt electronic throttle actuator, based on the information from this site: Yet another ASR Problem; '94 S500
We will see if this fixes the problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 95 E420 95 E300 Diesel 93 190E 2.6 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
95 E420 ASR intermittent light. One book referenced this problem and said a possible cause was incorrect tire sizing. I do have the 8 hole cast wheels, but my tires are 215-55-16, the original tires were 195-65-15. Could this possibly be my problem?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes E420
My car has been in the shop for more than 7 weeks now. The throttle actuator is what the mechanic keeps saying... although he's tried three now. He's also stated he's worked on the wiring harness. (re-coating wires?) I've used this guy for some time and I've always felt very comfortable with him. Am I being taken for a ride or is this just something I have to deal with to have this beautiful car?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Recoating wires probably isn't the answer. If your upper engine wiring harness is original you'll need to either replace it with a new one or take it out and do a proper rebuild, that is replace all the wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in