What would you want to change at Mercedes-Benz? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just out of curiousity was there an additional charge for this service?

No. I'm sure there was some distance limit on the service, but I lived less than five miles from the dealership.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeZee View Post
I'm still here Bill don't worry, I appreaciate all the comments. I completely udnerstand the reliability issue that most of you are refering to and I am sure the over paid engineers in Germany are constantly working on these issues. Once again many of you are referring to MBUSA issues which are out of my responsibility.

Just a heads up another idea which MB Canada is thinking of doing is providing a pick up / drop off service where the customer won't even have to leave the house for a service to be done, valet will pick the car up and then drop it off after the service. I know BMW does this as a courtesy service, but I'm not sure if they are going to be charging for this or not.

Keep the ideas coming

Thanks
Ferrari of Long Island has been doing this valet service in a closed truck for years. At work we have a few dozen company cars and the company that maintains them sends someone to our office campus to get the car. They drop off a loaner and return when the service has been completed. Our employee/drivers never have to leave the office to get a car service.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
There is/was a legendary Mercedes dealer in Rhode Island (Viti?) that provides pickup and drop off at customer's home/office and also provides loaners (they are a Toyota dealership too). The service was so popular that owners in MA and NY were having their cars serviced by this RI dealer.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There is still a dealer in FT Pierce FL that does that, comes out with a loaner and leaves with yours. It requires that you purchased the car from them, I would think with some sort of mileage limit, similar to the shuttle service provided by some
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1988 260E
TeeZee, sounds like a fun and interesting internship you've got.

Found it interesting that all of the examples of possible suggestions you cited were basically about amenities while in the dealership. I may be in the minority here, but I don't go to a car repair business for their lattes or flat screen TVs. Sure, for those times when a customer waits while his car is in service, there should be a comfortable waiting room and restroom facilities. But what matters to me, is that service advisors have the first, friggin' notion what they're talking about, along with the ability to talk with the assigned technician either before or after the work is done, and that someone on behalf of the dealership management does some form of quality control on the tech's work before the car is returned to the customer, to ensure that everything ordered was actually done, that there aren't obvious problems that are left to the customer to discover (hoses not reconnected, oil filler caps left off, greasy fingerprints on upholstery, all of which have happened to me at a dealership). In short, if the MBz brand is to stand for uncompromising quality again, the mechanical work performed there has to be uncompromising every time, the first time.

Good luck with your assignment.

1988 260E (Anthracite Grey over Palomino)
Owned since new; still strong and smooth @ 197K

MBCA member
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2009
Interesting to find this thread.

First - congratulations on your internship. Sounds like a great experience. I hope what you learn here and other forums is well received by your peers.

Now back to experience. I was at a local MB dealer yesterday. It was quiet possibly the worst experience I have ever had. I felt like I was bothering the sales guy by coming in to take a look at a car. My current car (non MB) is coming off lease in 1 month. I am really interested in the CLK350 (I don't want the 3 series...everyone else has one!). He not only talked me out of the CLK...too small...body style is outdated...not all wheel drive...no special programs (mind you I had already done my homework online, and knew the special program available on the CLK350). So I moved on to the E350 4Matic. Once again some more b/s. He steered me to the C300 4Matic, which I wasn't really interested(maybe he gets more of an incentive on it?). I asked if we can go for a test drive..."sure, if you want to" was the response. We get in the car, he pops his own CD in, and blasts it. Doesn't tell me anything about the car, or the features. I had to beg it out of him. Anyway, I made small conversation with him, and asked for the brochure on the C class and E class and left. I will never, buy a car from that moron! Or possibly that dealer. Oh, and in the 1/2 hour I was at the dealership, he answered his cell phone twice, and kept texting on it. I then drove to the dealer where my current car is leased, they happen to have a very nice CLK with low miles, that I am trying to work out the deal on. Maybe MB will get my business afterall.

I guess you can figure out what I would change at MB. I also agree with Cal Learner on the thread above.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My two cents for TeeZee

Dear fellow:
I must first apologize for tossing pennies into a MB chat. Second, I don't know who you work for if you don't work for MB USA and refer to the Stuttgart engineers as overpaid. Regardless, this is my input.

Following Newton and the Peter Principle, MB Corporate should realize that the Globalization process took solidly over since the eighties. With every advance this made and makes the world smaller for the mind. Today, geographical location should only be taken into account for local deep rooted costumes and operational interest (costs/profits). So, global management does not only mean to buy or make parts/product where it is cheapest and most convenient, but to be aware that people everywhere know what happens (is marketed) everywhere else. The Strategy Ops Plan should take as many products as produced wherever is feasibly profitable. More important yet, operating policies should be evenly universal to discourage loosing customers due to false expectations or diminishing feelings in comparison to customers of another market.
In a nutshell:
a) Make product availability as universal as possible.
b) Make aftersale policy universal:
Parts and accessories lists (with MSP in universal currency) easily available (e.g. internet), noted for local taxes and shipping charges.
Free pickup and delivery of vehicle or vehicle loaner for any service under warranty. (continued on the next reply)
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Extra penny for TeeZee

c) Universal availability of parts as recommended by "published" policies.
e.g. Oil MB Sheet 229.5 (not 229.3, not 229.1) for w204 C350. Case in point, I can vouch first hand that it is available in Argentina, but not in MB dealerships.
d) For warranty work,dealers should certify for work done, small or big, as detailed on the invoice/work order. The car owner should have access to parts replaced, without questions asked. MB should give serious consideration to customer demands and be a true impartial umpire between customer and dealer. Needless to say that MB shoes should be squeaky clean.
e)Whoever receives the customer order or delivers the vehicle from service on warranty or maintenance should be proficient at what they do, or get who can answer the customer when being questioned.

The other side of the coin: We are talking luxury (reliability, prestige, looks) items, and visible or hidden it is all part of the cost package to be paid by the customer. It's a jungle out there and MB has 30.03's, but caveat emptor is also widely known.
As for manual trannies, make them available at a price/lead time.
Run out of space, chau...
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
(Thread Starter)
ttt
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: w201,w124,w126
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
1. Stop making the cars flashier!
- If we wanted to look ridiculously obnoxious we'd buy Cadillacs and 2000inch chrome rims
- Mercedes used to mean the best in engineering and design, now its just car-with-flash

2. Take the ruler away from the designer's hand.
- Its like his only tool he uses these days

3. More diesels please, especially S-Class

4. Put back the rear end from the w220 into the w221

5. Maybe some all alloy bodies like Jaguar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in