BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz S500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to brave313
(Thread Starter)
Need recomendation for cleaning motor

I would like to clean my motor and compartment to show quality stuff. What do you recomend to use that want mess up the electrical parts and such.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1988 260E
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, what you don't want to do is get out the hose and spray all over the engine compartment. Your engine is chock full of expensive electronics. Whatever cleaner you end up using, use a bucket of clean water, a toothbrush, nylon pot scrubbing pad or sponge (depending on what you're working on) and work on a small area without letting the water drip down onto any electrical components, wires, relays, sensors, connectors, etc. Once the area being treated is to your liking, wipe up any remaining dampness with a clean cloth and move on to the next area. It'll take awhile, so have patience and take pleasure from the results. As far as recommended cleaners, I personally have not found anything that works better than P21S Total Car Wash. It's a fairly strong citrus-based cleaner that makes short work of grease. But realize that it strips wax, so do not get overspray onto the finish of your car.

Once you've cleaned the engine, go around and treat the various engine parts with rubber conditioner or plastic conditioner, as appropriate, and wax/buff the parts of the chassis that are painted metal (interior wheel housing, tie bars, etc.).

1988 260E (Anthracite Grey over Palomino)
Owned since new; still strong and smooth @ 197K

MBCA member
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
I've been washing all my engines with strong stream of plain water my whole life. Once you do it regularly every few months you don't need any degreaser. Just do it on warm, not hot engine. Obviously don't spray water inside the fuse box and avoid ignition wires, but the last short I had due the water on the engine was about 30 years ago, when water was shorting one ignition wire on Fiat126 and I had to pull out of my garage on one cylinder working and drive on one cylinder till engine heat would dry the second wire.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
What do you need?--Time, lots of time. If you engine is dirty, you get it clean bit by bit. Gunk degreaser is good. It is available at most parts stores. Make sure you cover electrical items like the alternator. Plastic shopping bags work fine. You might want to avoid getting the degreaser on plastics. For some reason I seem to remember that it can alter the color. Also best to do the degreasing at a do it yourself car wash. Their drainage system does better with grease etc.
I have tried steam before. It did not seem to help much. Also simple green, q-tips.

Have fun!

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: