LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Age Appropriateness for E-class

Hi all, first post. I'm in need of a vehicle and on a fairly tight budget, so I've been looking at used cars, mostly '06 models. I've noticed a lot of E-class sedans listed at pretty low prices, but wonder if it's sort of age-inappropriate to drive that kind of car. I'm 25 and still in grad school for a few more months.

If I were looking at new cars, the C-class would be a strong option, but I'm not a fan of the previous model generation.

I'm pretty much down to an '06 325Ci or an '06 E350. In Flint Gray. Any opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you are on a tight budget, I would advise that you pass on the BMW and M-B, at least for now, and buy a Toyota or Honda. At the very least, buy a German car with the factory warranty in effect.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 01-31-2009 at 01:50 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
If you are on a tight budget, I would advise that you pass on the BMW and M-B, at least for now, and buy a Toyota or Honda. At the very least, buy a German car with the factory warranty in effect.

x2. And I'll add always pay cash for cars and have money set aside for normal maintenance on any vehice you buy. Granted you may not end of with the latest wheels, but you'll be much better off in the long run. It's rare to find a car that is an investment, cars are a rapidly depreciating semi liquid asset, act accordingly, regarless of your emotions.

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with the advice so far. It's not a matter of age but of economic wherewithal. If you can't write a check for a $1000 repair that is unexpected, you should probably not be driving MB or BMW vehicles yet. It is fairly dumbfounding to me that people (usually young, but not necessarily) will stretch their budget and credit to the limit to buy a very well used version of what was an expensive and complicated vehicle and then be surprised that repair costs are high and frequent. For the money you might commit to a used E350 you can buy a brand new Honda, Toyota, or perhaps even a Lexus entry-level and have money left over. With a full factory warranty and a vehicle known to be very reliable and trouble-free, you have saved yourself a whole plateful of problems as you work to establish your career.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: