post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to E Dub
(Thread Starter)
Looking for a benzworld opinion on buy my first..

So heres the situation. I just had my long term love (old skool JDM celica) get totaled... worst day ever, but on the plus side. Now I'm buying a benz. I've always really dug the 190E body style but as of late have decided I really want to put my foot in a 300E. So the years are like 85-93 ish, black of course..

I've got a friend who drives an '87 TD and he gave me some great advise about buying a later 80's benz or at least i've found his advise quite helpful. I've found a car, after driving maybe 5, that I think might be "the one".

I met this dude right, nice guy. He's got an '86 300E benz, in black, with an almost really really nice interior and only 95k miles. PLUS it's already got some 18" black AMG wheels.

I went and drove the car, it looked even nicer than the pictures (but it was raining and don't all black cars look better wet?) After having driven 5 similar models (300CE, 190E 2.3 twice, 190E 2.6, 300E) I felt like this 95k original mile '86 300E had as much power as any and felt very solid. The transmission shifted nice, the interior was clean. The wheels had virtually no curb rash and the tires had 70% tread, which I'd estimate are worth prolly $1,200 ish. The guy said he'd replaced a few of the switches, distributer cap, power steering pump, rotors, all hoses and brakes in the last year. This guy was asking 5k but said now he'd take 4.5k. I feel like if I take $1,200 out of that he's asking 3.8k which seems about right for a super strait sub 100k 300E...that is black . Does that seem right or wrong to anyone? I'm going to do a carfax report and also take it to a mechanic to have him give me his opinion, just to see if I can find any reason why not!

Here is the real reason that I have any doubt in the world. Just to over react a little so I can stir an opinion. The cruise control didn't work. The factory alarm he told me, freaks out all the time and acts kinda weird. Plus the driver seat moves forward and back(only with the door open), but won't adjust angle. Plus the knob to adjust the mirrors was broke. He said he replaced a bunch of switches like some of them didn't work, but now they do. Are the things that are broken now the things he wasn't able to fix? The odometer read 095xxx. but the '0' looked like it'd started rolling to the '1', like it was maybe 15-25% of the way rolled over. Just because it's a '86 (lets see, 95k divided by 22 years is only 4k ish a year which isn't much) should those things be happening? Or are they more like things that happen at 195k ish? Could this car have been in some sort of freak flood or ish and that is why a few different electric things don't work? I guess thats what the car fax thing will tell me, but what do you think? Would you be suspicious? Might as well, I am buying his car...

Below is a picture of the car
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
So the big wheels are the main selling point for you?
I sold my 97 E300 diesel for not much more than your price is going to be.
We are talking fast dinosaur v/s newer era workhorse.
Good luck on your search. We are living in amazing times. Somebody reported here that he got the year model you are considering for $1200.
and welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
So the big wheels are the main selling point for you?
That's nothing. Some people buy 'em just for the hood star.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
Send a message via AIM to E Dub
(Thread Starter)
the car was in really great shape though. The wheels I want, but aren't the selling point.

What do you think about a 300E with 95k for about $3,000? wheels aside...

It seemed mechanically strong and the body was super strait..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
I am "diesel guy" and if that car would have a diesel it would be a marvel.
Other thing that might make it collectible would be big engine.
$3000 for decent car is still excelent price in CALIFORNIA but not knowing your location (?) I don't know if you can negotiate the price.
But you'll find on this forum a quote said more than once, that there is nothing more expensive than cheap Mercedes. If you are DIY it might be lovely vechicle, but once you start taking it to the deler the purchase price will not matter anymore.
Good luck
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2008 R350
Well EDUB, I gotta give you props for the wheels, those are NICE wheels, the 124 chassis is getting some age and in some cases, alot of miles, but is still a good car, hands down; the prices for the parts are decently priced, and readily available; the biggest problem with this car is head gaskets leaking and in some cases, wiring harness's that get brittle and short and cause running problems or electrical shorts in the different systems that are fed by these harness's. All in all, they are still great affordable cars, if you like the star, Take care, RON

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: Current: 2006 E500 4 Matic Past: 99 ML430, 99 E430
For me, from your description
within 1500$, you can give it a try
above that, I would not consider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in