LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W209 wheels&tyres, HELP Please

I am thinking of upgrading my 17" wheels to 18". The car comes as a standart of 225/45/17 (front) and 245/40/17 (rear). Can I put all 4 tyres as the same size or do I have to go for a 255/35/18 for rear?

Many thanks

Alen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The tire sets work really well on that chassis, why do you want to change the sizes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncmgl View Post
I am thinking of upgrading my 17" wheels to 18". The car comes as a standart of 225/45/17 (front) and 245/40/17 (rear). Can I put all 4 tyres as the same size or do I have to go for a 255/35/18 for rear?

Many thanks

Alen
In any case it would be fine to use the same wheels/tyres at the rear as are approved for the front.

But it looks like only 225/40/18 tyres are recommended to the front:
Interactive Owner's Manual [In depth | Technical data | Tyres and wheels]
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Diesel, that link says it all. I cant even remember how many times and frustrated owners I have delt with after altering tire size and or placement causing systems not to function correctly. These newer cars arn't like a 49 chevy.
Bill
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Diesel, that link says it all. I cant even remember how many times and frustrated owners I have delt with after altering tire size and or placement causing systems not to function correctly. These newer cars arn't like a 49 chevy.
Bill
I know it si not like a 49 Chevy, But I see many CLK's with upgraded alloy wheels, especially 18". What you are saying is, If I upgrade the wheels and the tyres I will have system not functioning problems. How come CLK 63's dont have that problem then. I am sure If I put the correct sizes as stated on the link it should be fine, shouldn't it?

225/40/18 Front
255/35/18 Rear
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

For what its worth put whatever size and or type of tires on that suit your desires' If the wheel and tire sizes are within the parameters set into the traction control module during setup then all will be well. If not then you will have to do some things to correct it. If you havn't purchased the tires as of yet then knowing there might be some issues to investigate isn't a bad thing, if you have and it all works well then this exchange is of no value. Just trying to be helpful, no more. Oh yes, the control modules are programmed for the different models based on recommended tire and wheel sizes .
Bill

Bill
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
For what its worth put whatever size and or type of tires on that suit your desires' If the wheel and tire sizes are within the parameters set into the traction control module during setup then all will be well. If not then you will have to do some things to correct it. If you havn't purchased the tires as of yet then knowing there might be some issues to investigate isn't a bad thing, if you have and it all works well then this exchange is of no value. Just trying to be helpful, no more. Oh yes, the control modules are programmed for the different models based on recommended tire and wheel sizes .
Bill

Bill
I didnt mean to sound funny,. Sorry if I upset anyone. This is my fisrt Merc CLK, thats why I am a bit concerned before buying anything. The tyres that i have are worn at the moment. Just wondering If I do upgrede will I face any problems? I will take ur advice in considiration and look into it more. But I have visited 5-6 differnet tyre shops and they all said the same thing. I just wanna be sure before changing them.

What do I have to do If I come across with any system problems?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Some of the modules are programable and some arn't, I believe what you need to keep is a set that the front and the rears are the same diameter as in smaller wheels so larger tires like 45 series or 55 series etc. You can do a search or post the direct question here. I no longer have access via computer to a lot of info since I retired.
Bill
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bill's advise

I've been reading your advise on different threads and found of merit to congratulate your involvement and patience. Great job, man.
As for changing wheel and tire sizes the way is wanted, either go with Bill's sound advise, or put your car on the rack at a proved suspension expert's (known senior technician or automotive engineer). Let him check and advise you whether the suspension will suit your wanted wheels w/tires, whether they will fit your existing fenders, and how will the electronics (speedo) need to be reset. Also what effect will the new wheels will have on cornering and breaking (need for larger discs?). Happy expending...but enjoy it if you can.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Thank's, I was told by someone I admired many years ago that one needs to listen to the entire story placing merit on each portion before responding because you wont understand the gravity of the conversation until it has all been said.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in