BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New CLK 430 Owner - needs help with jack points

Hi,
My wife wanted to try a convertible and found a nice deal on a 2003 CLK 430 Cabriolet. Very nice car. I am now trying to learn how to help her support her "habit" by getting some advice on taking care of it. things like cleaning the soft top properly (not too bad), changing to snows...I bought a floor jack to make it easy for the 2X a year chore but finding the service jack points is ridiculous. The emergency jack set up is for, well, emergencies. If I have to take it in for every service issue this sweet ride will be for sale soon. Since she likes the car so much I need some help and this looks like the place to get it.

If any one has a suggestion on the safe way to use a floor jack on a CLK 430 speak up please. I bought a Norco 2 1/4 ton floor jack because it was well reviewed as a safe jack. The only potential jack point I can find is directly below the emergency jack point and direcly behind the side skirt (standard, not AMG) but that looks like it could slip off.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: Don't own a Mercedes, probably because I fix them for a living. LOL.
You will have jack points which are plastic pads (underneath) the car in the same general areas as the pop out plugs used for the factory emergency jack.

If the car was bought second hand, sometimes these pads are missing for some reason.

It helps to have a floor jack that has a wide pad that can accept a length of 2x4 treated wood to place as a buffer between the jack lift pad and the 2x4 itself.

This will keep the jack from scratching any paint or damaging any components under the car.

Also get yourself some wheel chocks and most importantly, a jack stand as a life saving instrument should you new jack decide to fail.

I have seen most problems occur with brand new jacks as opposed to trusty old ones so please always use a jack stand.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: Don't own a Mercedes, probably because I fix them for a living. LOL.
You will also need to get yourself an 8MM nut driver to remove the engine encapsulation panels or ( belly pans) so you can access the oil drain plug.
I like to use a cordless angle drill with a nut driver attachment.
This makes the task of removing the panels much easier when lying on my back under the car. ( don't forget the jack stand.)!!!!!!
I place mine under the lower control arm area of the engine cradle between the two belly pans or part of the unibody frame rail, but make sure you position the jack stand away from any fuel lines even if it means turning the jack stand pad 90 degrees.
It's about the only place you can get it while the pans are in place as you don't want to risk zipping off the belly pan fastening bolts by relying on your new jack only.
I can't stress the importance of the safety of using a jack stand as your life is more important than cutting corners.

Make sure you use a new drain plug crush seal when replaing the drain plug.

These cars may look very complicated and intimidating, but in reality are not very difficult.
Just take your time and ask for help if you need it.

Last edited by benzfixer; 01-14-2009 at 07:48 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the fast reply benzfixer. Yeah, in my research I have seen a lot of scary episodes with floor jacks. I went with the Norco because it had many well reasoned reviews even though it was $225 but a jack stand is super advice. Thank You. The Norco floor jack has a metal pad or shallow cup really about 5-6" wide and long. A 5" length of 2X4 will be no problem to place in the cup .

There is a lot of flat plastic area under the car. Any additional tips on finding the right spot? Is the location exactly next to the emergency jack point?

Thanks a bunch...I can't get the car in to the dealer due to the snow storm in the midwest and I'll be down a car if I can't get these on tonite. It is undrivable until I get the new wheels/tires on.

I've seen you post here...your a good man to be so helpful.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz