Dealer refuses to release prior records - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealer refuses to release prior records

The dealer who I purchased my car from refuses to release the previous service records for the car until the previous, and only prior owner sends written permission to the dealer. The dealer called the prior owner and she won't release the records citing privacy. The car was almost exclusively serviced at this dealer. The dealer is feeding me a line about how there is some privacy act of 2001 that allows for this nonsense.

I've been told this before when shopping for a used Lexus, but another dealer was able to access the same records and provided them to me (no questions asked).

Since this dealer is not a new Mercedes dealer, their records are not logged into any kind of national database so they are the only ones with access to these records.

Is there anything I can do? Is there really a law or is this made up? I couldn't find a single thing on google that talked about this law.

I find this ridiculous. What harm could releasing service records to the OWNER of the vehicle cause???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good question.

I'm wondering if when they print the records, maybe the previous owners name/address/phone ends up printing too....

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There is no law, if the previous owner does not want it released, you dont get it. They can provide all warranty repairs, but they will only be line item. I think some of my old records have my CC# on them. they have address, phone#, when i trade a car they can record my service history, but I an not going to turn over anything. MY dealer in MA can not access any info from my dealer in FL other than warranty.
Dont buy the car!!!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Be nice to him/her. It is really up to the Service Adviser. He/she can blank out the personal info of the previous owner.

They are not obligated to give you the VMI but it id up to the individuals (like almost everything else).

This may not apply to you this time, but another thing you can do is if you do take a car to a dealer for service, you can chat with the Service Adviser (be nice). You can then ask him/her to run a VMI of a car and most of the time, he/she will do it. The car being serviced does not have to be the car you want the VMI for.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
I was refused records as well and I understand the privacy issue.
Than lately lot of dealers post the service records available on Carfax.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I was refused records as well and I understand the privacy issue.
Than lately lot of dealers post the service records available on Carfax.
Yes, but I noticed the service records the MB dealer puts on Carfax are sometimes only partially complete, but certainly better than nothing.

S.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
The reality is the records do not belong to the car or the owner of the car. They belong to the person who paid for the repair or to Mercedes Benz, the dealer, or the service agent. Buying a car does not entitle you to the repair records of the car except those records that may be public record or used to represent the vehicle for sale. If you are given the service records it is merely a courtesy, and may be illegal. You can certainly demand them as a condition of purchase--before you do the deal--but you don't have any right to them after the fact. I don't know if the first owner would prevail, but it would be an interesting lawsuit if the dealer gave the repair records to the buyer without the first owner's permission.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
My SA (while looking at the screen) verbally told me what service items were attended to by previous owner on my CPO ML350, but without much detail.

S.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
How much it takes to bribe a janitor to access the computer after hours, or during lunch break?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
The dealer who I purchased my car from refuses to release the previous service records for the car until the previous, and only prior owner sends written permission to the dealer. The dealer called the prior owner and she won't release the records citing privacy. The car was almost exclusively serviced at this dealer. The dealer is feeding me a line about how there is some privacy act of 2001 that allows for this nonsense.
The dealer owes you no duty to provide records.

Quote:
Since this dealer is not a new Mercedes dealer, their records are not logged into any kind of national database so they are the only ones with access to these records.
MBUSA does not store service records other than warranty or recall work. Routine service and non-warranty work is not reported to MBUSA, but is kept by the dealers.

Quote:
Is there anything I can do? Is there really a law or is this made up? I couldn't find a single thing on google that talked about this law.

I find this ridiculous. What harm could releasing service records to the OWNER of the vehicle cause???
Ownership of a vehicle does not give you ownership over other's property. You own the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in