Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Weird Noise

638 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gottabemb 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 C230. There is an unusual sound coming from the right rear end. It sounds like a truck jake brake and occurs every time I lift my foot from the accelerator. As soon as I push down, it goes away.
If anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks.

#3 ·
I have exactly the same noise, it sounds as if something is loose inside the muffler. I would like to try removing the last part (big square box) of the muffler and see if noise still occurs. I'm sure other had this issue, was it the muffler? Please post reply if you find the solution.

#4 ·
Could it be a leak or corrosion in the exhaust system, perhaps the sound you hear is the escape of exhaust through the hole upon acceleration, but goes away once there's less load? Could you offer another explanation of the sound, I am unfamiliar with the brake noise you compared it to.

#5 ·
It was a rumbling noise that sounded as if there was a hole, but it would disappear every time the accelerator was pushed. It was fixed though, the muffler was pushed aside and hitting something underneath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.