LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
S280 Electric door mirror problem

I require some help with my electric wing mirrors please. I have a 1996 S280 (W140028). Both wing mirrors are locked when they are folded in and I am unable to fold the mirrors out using the mirror adjusting switch. I have inspected the relevant fuses and can conclude that this is not a fuse problem. I have changed the mirror adjusting switch located in the centre console but this has still not cured the original problem. The mirrors only worked a couple of times. I have also squirted the mirror mechanism with WD40 in desperation but still no joy!! Can anyone please advise??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Have you unplugged the battery, waited for an hour, then plugged it back in? Are the mirrors getting power or is this a computer problem? You need to determine that. You could try hooking up to a Star computer and see if any codes come back (I bet they will).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
(Thread Starter)
Both mirrors appear to be getting power. The problem initially appeared to be intermittent. I haven't unplugged the battery. Will that not upset the electrics? Also, I was advised that the problem could be due to the relay?? Not sure what that could mean or how it could be checked? Any thoughts on this please? Will I be able to manually fold the mirrors out until the problem is sorted without causing any damage. thanks for your help.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Unplugging the battery won't harm anything too much. Your windows may need to be reset (real easy) and your clock, but that's about it. I'd give that a try. Also, have your battery load tested to see how low it is. A low battery can cause a lot of problems.

I wouldn't pull them out manually. You will damage/strip/destroy the internal components of the mirror.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: W140 S280 1996 P
Lightbulb S280 Door Mirrors repair

This may be an old thread, however I have recently had problems with my door mirrors not working. I would like to share with you how I fixed mine.

If you have an w140 s280 with memory seats, you also have memory mirrors. As you all may know these are controlled by a unit in the pasenger footwell. If your s280 does not have memory seats life is a lot simpler and fixing your faulty mirrors should be easy.. (ish). In both cases try my suggestions.

If both your mirrors stop working all of a sudden and you find there are no blown fuses, you need to check the mirror adjust switch unit. Remove the switch from the console and first check you have 12v to the switch. You should find 12v on the row of three connection points on the switch connector. If you find 12v - good. Now meter out the switch unit taking note of which pin should be 12v feed. Connect one lead of a continuity meter/tester to this pin and the other lead to each of the other pins inturn while opperating the switch. You should get some conductivity from the switch.

If you get nothing, then your switch is faulty. Now you can either buy a new one or repair / have repaired the old one. The fault will most likely be a melted track on the switches internal PCB. The switch comes apart quite easily but be sure to note where everthing comes from for reassembly.

Carefully desolder and remove the PCB as the blown track is on the under side. The track can be repaired by soldering a piece of thin solid wire across the track. Note you will need to remove a thin section of the switch housing so the PCB still sits flush on it. Reassemble your switch and Voilà your mirrors should now work. One more thing to check.. the reason the switch burnt out in the first place is most likely because of a short in one of the mirrors. You will need to check this also before you refit the switch, this is a common fault on these cars where the insulation wears away over time.

If you have memory seats and both mirrors stop working, but the seats still "fully" work then check the adjust switch first. If you find no fault with the switch look to the control module in the passenger footwell. Again this should be repairable but as my car does not have the memory function I can't tell you where to look.

Don't be afraid of taking faulty parts to bits and looking for a repair solution. If you need a new part anyway there is no harm what so ever in having a go at fixing the old one yourself. It could just save you hundreds of pounds.

I hope this helps someone fix there mirror faults.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in