post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I adjust the timing, W202 C220 UK

Happy New Year!

I've read many threads on BenzWorld and found them a great help, so thanks.

I now have a question that as far as I can see, has not been raised or covered yet. If it has then I appologise and please point me to that thread.

As far as timing (after putting the head back on) is concerned, I have to decide wether I should adjust the crank to line up at 20 degrees after TD, as at the moment I have had to move the crank to 30 degrees after TD to get the 2 sprockets to line up and allow me to insert a pin in the back of each to hold them in position while I operate.

Is it best to leave it as is, or act like I have put on a new chain and line everything up to 20 degrees after TD?

Thanks for your help.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I could really do with some help on this one as I have managed to remove the head, clean it up, remove the exhust stud (as one snapped) and at first light (ish) I will re-assemble the engine. I just need to know what to do about the timing chain? I know it has variable valves and so the timing is electronic, but physically... do I line it up to 20deg (as it should be) or leave it at 30deg (to take into account chain stretch)? I don't want to bugger the engine, especially after all this work, so need your advice.

Also, what is the best way to renew the exhust manifold's 11 studs? Do I put the nut on and just screw them in? If I did this, wouldn't they simply undo when I undid the nut again?

Cheers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
Hi LuToolBox,
may i suggest youpruchase the haynes manual #3511, Mercedes Benz C180, C200, C220, C230 & C250. It has instructions and diagrams about all this stuff, and will be an enormous help. I gave it a quick peruse, and I think it best that you get the source rather than me trying to explain and/or scan and email what are fuzzy photos....
kind regards
David
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuToolBox View Post
I could really do with some help on this one as I have managed to remove the head, clean it up, remove the exhust stud (as one snapped) and at first light (ish) I will re-assemble the engine. I just need to know what to do about the timing chain? I know it has variable valves and so the timing is electronic, but physically... do I line it up to 20deg (as it should be) or leave it at 30deg (to take into account chain stretch)? I don't want to bugger the engine, especially after all this work, so need your advice.

Also, what is the best way to renew the exhust manifold's 11 studs? Do I put the nut on and just screw them in? If I did this, wouldn't they simply undo when I undid the nut again?

Cheers
Do you mean the engine would have electronically controlled valve timing, I would not expect that from a W202, perhaps you mean electronically controlled ignition?

It would of course be good to have a workshop manual. I don't know about the Haynes manual and how easy you can find one, all the necessary info would be available directly from MB (Daimler AG - Service & Parts net) but I'm not sure if an individual can purchase access rights in the UK.

You might also ask more from the W202 section but other models would have the same engine, other active sections could give help too.

My understanding anyway is that you should use the 20 degree mark but note that this is for the first cylinder, be sure about that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responces, I was begining to think everyone had gone away for the New Year

I do have the haynes manual and it has been a great help, apart from the mistakes! As far as I am aware though, it does not tell me how to actually insert new studs into the exhaust side of the cylinder head. I have found out from elsewhere now and I have added a drop of stud glue on the ends.

As far as the timing in concerned, I'm not after instructions on how to do the timing. The manual shows how to remove the timing chain with the pulley lined up to 20degrees and tells me how to add a new chain, but I don't think it tells me what to do if I want to reuse the chain and the pulley had to be set to 30 degrees to allow the camshafts to be lined up. Anyway, I guessed and re-assembled the engine at 30 degrees (as I fonud it) and it runs sweet as a nut. Just hope the new gasket sorts the chocolate sauce coolant!

Cheers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: W202 C180 + W168 A210 LBW Evo AMG + S320CDi 7G
Yes the haynes manual does go into to detail on page 2A*4.The 20 degree after top dead centre mark only rearly applies to a new chain or a low mileage. For those that dont want to spend £20 as i did on a book....to read three lines.The 30 dregree..or under after TDC applies when the chain has stretched.If to get the pins in the cams to lock it into place, you have to get it at 40 degrees then you have the cams one tooth out.Each tooth aprox equals 20 degrees.
I had the same issue after the front cover sprung a leak at 105k.Hopefully by the time it reaches 150k the chain will have stretched enough for me to to knock back the sprocket's one tooth and get the engine running "not retarded" by 9-10 degress all the time.Yes I'm to tight to buy a chain!,sprocket's,slippers on a old girl like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:49 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I put in a new chain and for some reason when I put the tensioner in, it moves the crank to the 30 degree ATDC. Is this ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in