post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2002 CL600 and 1988 Ferrari Testarossa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm new!

I've had several cars in my relatively short life so far. I started off with a '93 Chrystler Concorde, then got a '98 Dodge Intrepid. Both of those were "mine" but really belonged to my parents. The first car I bought was a '68 Triumph Spitfire. My dad totaled that, so I replaced it with a '76 Spitfire, that I proceeded to blow the engine in. I then got an '03 Ford Mustang GT that I kept for about 3 years before I sold it and got a '00 Dodge Viper. A friend of mine decided I didn't need that anymore, so he parked it in the side of a BMW 5-Series. I thought I'd go toward the luxury option as a replacement, and 12 cylinders is better than 10, right? So to replace the Viper I got an '02 CL600. A few months later I found out that a friend from back home was selling his '88 Ferrari Testarossa for pretty cheap since he was buying a Lamborghinin Diablo and his wife wouldn't let him have both. So I picked that up from him and use the CL600 as a daily driver.
Sadly, the Mercedes has been the most stressful car I've owned. That's including the old British Spitfires. At least with those I could completely rebuild the car without much of a problem. I can even take most of the Ferrari apart and fix it for the price of parts. I should have known the Benz would be a pain when I got it, but it's a Mercedes. They're not supposed to break, right?
After a couple months the ABC sensor sprung a leak, so I had to have that rebuilt. When it was in the shop for that, they told me the lower control arm bushing was completely worn away on the pass. side and started to wear into the underbody, so the underbody has to be replaced, which is a $5000 part I guess. And the control arm bushings can't be replaced, it has to be the entire control arm. Not that big of a deal, I suppose. But the fact that something that's designed to wear away automatically causes damage to the underbody causing it to have to be replaced it ridiculous.
Now, a couple days ago the car stopped starting. The lights and auxiliaries were working alright, but it wouldn't start. I searched through all the fuses and finally found a blown 20A fuse on the pass side engine compartment fuse box and replaced it and it finally started, however the Check Engine light is on and it feels like it's not running on all cylinders. I'll be gone for a couple months, but from the sound of things, as soon as I get back it's time for a trip to the dealership for some potentially serious issues.
I don't think I'm ever going to buy a Mercedes after this, unless this is a unique car and situation, but for some reason I doubt that.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like a list of cars most of us here would like to drive, let a lone own! Welcome to the site-hopefully someone here can help out with the small bugs that come up from time to time-remember, the more the car can do or claim-the more there is to break!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Depends on the week
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The whole problem with Mercedes is that if they aren't taken care of from when they are new, they will be very problematic for down the road and for future owners.

To be quite honest with you, I think you should have gotten a CL500 or CL55 AMG. That way, you would have the reliability of the good `Ole Mercedes V8 without having to deal with those wasted 4 extra cylinders.

Best of luck to ya.

☆ ★ A R T I S A N ☆ ★ ☆ ★ A R T I S A N ☆ ★
Chicagoland Mercedes Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mbclubchicago/
Join the W124 Buy/Sell/Trade/Chat Group on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/224626884381433/
Mercedes Diesel Injector Servicing: http://artisanexcite.blogspot.com/p/...servicing.html
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: