"obsolete parts" - still not an MB problem? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"obsolete parts" - still not an MB problem?

Has anyone here had problems in ordering genuine parts for a post-WW2 Mercedes Benz?
I know that in some occasions parts have been out of stock, but as far as I know that would be IE. interior items in unusual colors for 30+ year old cars.

IME the dealer will find you almost any part to any car.

Please provide example of the service level YOU have experienced - I would be grateful!

/Alexander

-91 190E 2.6 Sportline 5-speed (now sold)
-92 300TE -24 valve (now sold)
-95 Lexus LS 400 (all options except sunroof)
-91 SAAB 900i -16 (just over 80.000km)
-06 Renault Clio (daily beater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Even for relatively newer models such as the W201 chassis (1983-1993), Mercedes no longer has certain parts for the various models.

Always a potential for those with enough money, the Classic Center in either Germany or the US has the plans and ability to fabricate some rare parts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Even for relatively newer models such as the W201 chassis (1983-1993), Mercedes no longer has certain parts for the various models.

Always a potential for those with enough money, the Classic Center in either Germany or the US has the plans and ability to fabricate some rare parts.
I've never tried to purchase parts for a car even as old as a W201 but generally MB should have way better support for old parts than other models. Perhaps US cars a different (after all, they are the mostly the same for the last 30 years ).

I know certain parts like for the chassis are not available as originally but there should be other options (can see from EPC but I believe it is like big parts that take a lot of space are replaced by parts that can be combined to build the big one).

Anyway the comment above probably was not intended to say the first post was wrong but could have been understood so. My point was that relatively to other models, MB should do pretty well.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My 1971 280SE (W111) had a pitted windshield, so I went to the MB dealer down the street, and they had to order it! Took all of two days to get a brand-new windshield for a 35-year-old car. Wasn't cheap but boy was it worth it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
AFAIK, Mercedes has traditionally been unmatched in their capacity to fill vintage parts requests. Given the dramatic marketing shift of Mercedes over the past couple of decades, I rather doubt that trend will continue.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
^^ True dat! But might leave a business opportunity or two for the aftermarket supplier, what say?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Would that that were true. The trend is toward more high dollar electronics, more factory-only, less aftermarket access. The aftermarket is being slowly but effectively frozen out, and that applies to indy repair shops as well.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 AM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
Oh right, and that is a shame too. My CL has just gone off factory warranty, and with the extended warranty I could take it to an indie. I'd be inclined to, too, since most of the dealers I've encountered are variable at best in their expertise. But the mfr keeps adding proprietary features, diagnostics, tools and techniques
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
(Thread Starter)
It would be interesting to hear what specific Mercedes part you could not get from the dealer? If they for instance are out of "crate engines" for the 190E 16V, you might still be able to purchase the engine parts one by one...

And by the way, my authoized Lexus shop tells me they have never seen an example of obsolete parts for their cars. Yes, I know the oldest cars are still "just" 20 years old next year, but still, it is not bad!

There are many brand doing much worse, including SAAB, Audi, VW, Volvo, Ford etc and even Porsche...

/Alexander

-91 190E 2.6 Sportline 5-speed (now sold)
-92 300TE -24 valve (now sold)
-95 Lexus LS 400 (all options except sunroof)
-91 SAAB 900i -16 (just over 80.000km)
-06 Renault Clio (daily beater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in