BAS ESP, ETS, ABS & EPC lights on - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz ML270 CDI Inspiration (W163)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post BAS ESP, ETS, ABS & EPC lights on

UK 2003 model ML270CDI Inspiration (W163), BAS ESP, ETS, ABS lights come on after starting engine followed shortly after by the EPC light. These stay on all the time (however did go off the other day but came back on after restarting engine) and the low range gear, cruise control, speed limiter & ESP switches are all are disabled as well as ABS & BAS not appearing to work. I had new rear brake pads fitted last week but all was ok immediatley after that, problem has occured 3 days after this. I bought a new brake switch but when I went to replace it there didn't appear top be anything to replace - just an empty hole where all the threads describe it should be & no wiring to connect to it - does anybody know if my model has a differentset up? Does anybody have any clues, I have tried full lock on steering wheel either way to reset BAS to no avail.

Last edited by joel4507; 12-14-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
BAS ESP, ETS, ABS & EPC lights on

Hello new to the forum. I have an ML270CDI UK 04 and experiencing the same problem. Interested to know what the diagnosis was..(appreciate it was a couple of years ago..)

My symptoms are that first in the morning on my way to work, I drive the car for approx. 5 to 10 mins before the BAS/ESP/ABS lights come followed by the EPC. I then try and stop somewhere switch on and off and the lights clear and don't return for the rest of the journey approx one hour.
The same occurs in the evening on my way home....

Not sure how relevant or accurate this is,but I think the lights appear to come on on the first instance of accelerating. i.e. going through the gears quickly. Its an automatic of course.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz ML270 CDI Inspiration (W163)
(Thread Starter)
Hi - the problem I had sounds exactly the same as the issue you are experiencing. There are some wires which come from the ABS control unit at the front left hand side of the under bonnet area (front left when looking forward from driving seat), these wires are routed under the front left wheel arch. Where the duck under the plastic wheel arch lining they can rub against the edge of the lining causing a break in a wire. The wire which was briken in my car was the one which sends a signal from the rear left wheel speed sensor. If the ABS unit can't see this signal it will give the faults you are seeing. the problem is intermittent as sometimes the broken wire can reconnect for a period of time removing the fault as the ABS unit can see a signal until you turn a corner or drive over a bump which will break or make the circuit.
Hope this is the answer for you as ABS control units are expensive - my mechanic charged 3 hours for finding the problem (£114)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Many thanks for the reply. Will arrange to get it looked at and will use your diagnosis as guidance when as I suspect i'm told its the ABS pump by those friendly Merc dealers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in