post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Key not working

Hello,

Both my keys suddenly stopped working. I replaced the batteries in the key fob but that's not the problem?

Any ideas on what the problem can be? Do I need to re-synch the key? If yes, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amijain View Post
Hello,

Both my keys suddenly stopped working. I replaced the batteries in the key fob but that's not the problem?

Any ideas on what the problem can be? Do I need to re-synch the key? If yes, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance,
I guess it is safe to assume that the car is a Mercedes, any more details?

Welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2008
(Thread Starter)
Yes, the car is a 2003 SL500.

I did not use the car for over a month. When I tried using the keys after that, they did not work. I used the manual key to open the car - the alarm went off - and then for some reason the key started working. When I started the car, there was some message about the battery which quickly disappeared.

After 2 days, the keys stopped again. If I am lucky, after trying for 8-9 times, it may work. So basically, it works intermittantly and is not reliable.

Any help wd be appreciated. Thanks
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by amijain View Post
Yes, the car is a 2003 SL500.

I did not use the car for over a month. When I tried using the keys after that, they did not work. I used the manual key to open the car - the alarm went off - and then for some reason the key started working. When I started the car, there was some message about the battery which quickly disappeared.

After 2 days, the keys stopped again. If I am lucky, after trying for 8-9 times, it may work. So basically, it works intermittantly and is not reliable.

Any help wd be appreciated. Thanks
Most likely reading diagnostics codes would help.

What you say is that both keys fail to start the car, except if you try multiple times? It sounds very much like an EIS issue. You might try to check that the IR window is clean on both sides, the key (usually OK) and the EIS slot.

Note that the battery on the key is not needed at all to make the car start, the key is powered from the EIS when the key is inserted.

When you insert the key, does it turn when the car cannot be started (I assume it does not, that is the car has not successfully authorised the key).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe the battery indication, shows a marginal battery. The EIS/DAS uses battery power to the computer, the ignition lock release, and the locking ring on the steering collum
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guenther View Post
Maybe the battery indication, shows a marginal battery. The EIS/DAS uses battery power to the computer, the ignition lock release, and the locking ring on the steering collum
Thanks for this post, made me realise I've confused threads. I guess I assumed from another thread (must have been a different car too) it was just the car not starting but reading again, it was at least an issue with opening locks, not sure if it had starting problems at all.

So again, does it have any sort of problems starting the car? If it is just the remote door locks, have you tried both the IR option (pointing to the door IR receiver with the key) and the radio (that would be using the key as usual). It could be also the RF receiver antenna/antenna amplifier connectors.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2001 S430
EIS problem

I have a 2001 S430. Periodically when turning the key fob, nothing happens. Try it again and the car starts right up. Subsequent attempts the same day - no problems. About a year ago when I first had the problem, dealer replaced ignition relay and didn't have the problem again until recently. Dealer can't diagnose since no faults are being recorded in the computer. Same problem with both keys. For now, the dealer and I have agreed to wait until the problem becomes more serious before replacing the EIS. Seems to me like the EIS is slow to read the key. Any ideas?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2000 E430
I have a 2000 E430 and it just started doing the same thing. The EIS does not seem to be reading the key very well. Problem is it reads it sometimes but as of today -- after several attempts I cannot get it to read. I tried both of my keys and still no luck. I will try cleaning the IR windows. Is there a fuse or something else I can check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in