post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Decided to keep my S500 for 10 years

Hello all,

So, I recently decided to keep my S500 for 10 years. That probably means I will be frequenting this board in the near future

I have a very nice 2003 S500 4matic, which recently had its 100000 mile anniversary.

The expectation is that it can run another 500000 miles with some TLC, so we will see...

I had leased the vehicle but ended up buying it at lease end, since I was on serious over-mileage and had to pay $8000 upon returning the vehicle. This is where I decided to keep it and pay some maintenance to keep it going indefinitely.

The key question ofcourse is how well the car keeps up and how much the maintenance will cost...
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. The S class is one of my favorite cars. I wouldn't doubt the engine, if properly cared for, can last you a few hundred thousand more miles.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2008
If you are keeping the 2003S type for 10 years, DO NOT ever jump start the battery. Have it replaced by pros or you risk a $5000 repair to the electrical system. It is not tolerant. Mechanically, the car is great.
German Knight
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2008
(Thread Starter)
clunking noise on front wheel

Thanks for the support and the heads up on _not_ jump starting (I would have never guessed!)

While I am at this I will post a previous problem I have had with the car. It has been solved by dealer under warranty a few years ago, but if anyone has this issue, you may have the same headaches as I did...

Problem occurred at about 50k miles. A light clunking noise in the right front wheel area. Sounded like a bushing went bad on a sway bar or such. It starts clunking on some bumps in the road at low speed, or when accellarating from a red light, as if something is trying to "adjust" to the tension of the accelleration. Ofcourse the kicker was that the problem was very intermittent. Usually that means it always does it for me, but never when you bring it in to the shop.

It was brought in for repair 6 times. The dealer changes shocks, swaybars, and just about everything that holds the right wheel to the car. Nothing fixed the problem. Finally, when my warranty was coming to an end, I told the dealer to just keep the car until he fixed it. Ok, I should not have said that, because he had it for two months, and then finally found the problem.

The culprid was a loose pump and valve on the pressure system of the right wheel suspension. The noise would _only_ occur when the pump was running (the virbration caused it to clunk). This made it very difficult to find since the pump only runs on occasion when the suspension needs pressure.

Just about drove me nuts to get this fixed, but in the end it worked out. I got it fixed under warranty, and MB gave me a $2000 credit for the inconvenience of not having my car for 3 months because of this issue.

Anyway, if you have a similar clunking noise, you may want to check this...
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: