LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie with a 190

I am a former car-less, walking, taxi-hailing, transit-taking urbanite who has recently relocated to the coastal suburbs of southern California.

As southern California is no place to be without an automobile, my father, now too ill to drive, sold me his '85 190e. He originally purchased it as a project car.

It is in good mechanical condition and the body and interior are good. But overall the car needs some TLC: minor repairs, getting caught-up on regular maintenance (due to benign neglect), and some cosmetic fixes.

I've decided to restore the car, and possibly enhance its performance. I've rediscovered the joys of driving and this car really seems to have potential.

I'm sure I will be popping up with the occasional Newbie-esque question now and then. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
Get some new shocks as that car probably has a rear end that sags. I put in Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks in mine- 93 190E 2.6. The ride stiffened and it feels like a sports sedan now with the correct tires. Dont use cheapo stuff either. I put on Bridgestone Potenzas RE960s on the stock 15 inch rims.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2008
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Runninrebel. As luck would have it, I have a carton from of Bilstein HD struts and mounts, shocks, and a new set of springs sitting in the garage waiting for me to find the time to put them on.

Not sure about whether I have everything I need, though. There are a lot of bushings, etc. under there. Might just take it all to a shop and have them do it, if they won't give me an attitude about bringing in the parts. Life gets busy, you know?

There is a lot of noise from the back end. On an uneven road surface it rattles, squeaks, and clunks when going over pavement variances. Any idea what else I should check into to eradicate all this noise? Back end just seems loose-ish.

Tire wise, I'm considering a change. Potenzas, huh? Been reading good things about them. Currently I'm running Yokohama Avid TRZs. I like them overall, they are excellent on wet roads, but they are noisy and add vibration at low speeds. They are also a size off, due to a dodgy salesman and a lack of good sense on my part. Live and learn.

I would value any and all input on the back end noise question, especially.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: