post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Manufacturers are often exempt from tint regulations because there are so many different stupid laws in every single state. Factory rear tint on say a minivan or a crew cab truck is about 30%+/-. That would be illegal is some states as an aftermarket tint.
For the manufacturers vehicle type designation (car vs. light truck) allows tinting of rear windows. For example a Scion XB comes with factory tint, Scion XA did not have that option.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Again, if an OEM puts some sort of a coating on a windshield, that is most def. approved by law otherwise a multimillion/mulitbillion Dollar/Euro/Yen whatever companies wouldn't do so - period. So if I buy a car and has that coating on do I really have to question the dealer if that is legal? I assume it is legal or it wouldn't be in the lot or in the showcase inside the dealership.
I'm not saying a coating from the factory, i'm talking about an aftermarket tint applied to the windshield (even if it's only 50%)... would you have the liability of being charged with manslaughter if the time comes that you hit someone in an accident and kill them unintentionally? And if you have a strip lining the top that passes the AS1 line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Manufacturers are often exempt from tint regulations because there are so many different stupid laws in every single state. Factory rear tint on say a minivan or a crew cab truck is about 30%+/-. That would be illegal is some states as an aftermarket tint. But since the vehicle was made with the tinted glass, it is exempt. This is the same reason why no manufacture sells vehicles with factory tinted driver/passenger windows and they never tint below the AS1 line on the windscreen.
My dad bought his '06 dodge ram new and there was no tint in the back windshield, on the front windows, nor did any tint pass the AS1 line. However, my friend's mom's lexus came with tinted windows alll around (barely tinted) but noticable. I live in South Carolina where the darkest legal tint limit is 27%.

1998 MB ML32k
1955 Ford F100
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML32Kdrift View Post
I'm not saying a coating from the factory, i'm talking about an aftermarket tint applied to the windshield (even if it's only 50%)... would you have the liability of being charged with manslaughter if the time comes that you hit someone in an accident and kill them unintentionally? And if you have a strip lining the top that passes the AS1 line?

My dad bought his '06 dodge ram new and there was no tint in the back windshield, on the front windows, nor did any tint pass the AS1 line. However, my friend's mom's lexus came with tinted windows alll around (barely tinted) but noticable. I live in South Carolina where the darkest legal tint limit is 27%.

Trucks have optional factory tint. I have had to special order trucks with this before. For some reason, a lot of dealers order trucks without optional factory 'dark' tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in