Mercedes options/packages are limited here !?!?! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes options/packages are limited here !?!?!

Hello everybody,

- I´m looking for your opinions and advice here, as I am getting frustrated with Mercedes North America.

- you know, I am from Europe and now working for couple of years here in Canada. And my plan is to buy a Mercedes or two to bring back home to Europe as I return.

- but now to my suprise I have found that very limited number of options/engines/packages are available here. I mean in Europe you can order/buy anything that Mercedes Benz has engineered as long as you have the money for it. So, now I have the money but the dealer won´t deliver.

Examples:

- engines:
-- in Europe Mercedes offers the following diesel engines:
- 200CDI , 4cyl, 136hp/200ftlbs
- 220CDI , 4cyl, 170hp/300ftlbs
- 250CDI , 4cyl, 200hp/370ftlbs
- 320CDI , V6 225hp/380ftlbs
- 420CDI , V8 306hp/516ftlbs
-- ... but here in North America I can only get one of those, that V6 engine. What about if I want to buy a heavy GL, and choose a V8 diesel with great torque? No, not available. The dealer seems to "know" what is best for me?

- packages:
-- in Europe Mercedes offers all possible option packages and accessories, for exaple the Off-road package to SUVs.
- but how is the situation here if I want to buy ML or GL with a diesel engine and off-road package... here is my money, so where do I sign, now? No no, not available. The dealer seems to "know" what is best for me?

So, they offer me a 4-wheel drive vehicle that is underpowered, and on top of that the well engineered off-road system is wrested away, too.

How would you feel if you were buying a vehicle to yourself, and dealer decides to sell you 2 cylinders and one third less power and without the most important option package in that vehicle?

Thanks for letting me unwind a bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
then go home and buy it.

while over there, try buying a chevrolet and come gripin to us that we have more options over here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Ouch... point taken

Well, I will go back home, eventually. One year is done, another year to go. Then I´m off, no worries.

Everything else is great here (to say the least) in B.C, but buying a dream diesel Mercedes is next to impossible. Well, I guess you cannot have it all..?

The new cars here in Canada cost ~60% what they do cost back home, used ones are half the price. So that is the reason why I will buy my next Mercedes from here. Like if your dream Mercedes costs something like $100 000 here, so the exact same car is like $170 000 back there in Northern Europe where I am from. So I cannot afford $170 000 vehicle back home, but I can afford $100 000 vehicle here.

-->> while over there, try buying a chevrolet and come gripin to us that we have more options over here.

Yes, you´re right. I´m sure there would be some options when trying to order for example a top-of-the-line Silverado back home that I couldn´t reach, even if I tried my best.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post

Ouch... point taken

Well, I will go back home, eventually. One year is done, another year to go. Then I´m off, no worries.

Everything else is great here (to say the least) in B.C, but buying a dream diesel Mercedes is next to impossible. Well, I guess you cannot have it all..?

The new cars here in Canada cost ~60% what they do cost back home, used ones are half the price. So that is the reason why I will buy my next Mercedes from here. Like if your dream Mercedes costs something like $100 000 here, so the exact same car is like $170 000 back there in Northern Europe where I am from. So I cannot afford $170 000 vehicle back home, but I can afford $100 000 vehicle here.

-->> while over there, try buying a chevrolet and come gripin to us that we have more options over here.

Yes, you´re right. I´m sure there would be some options when trying to order for example a top-of-the-line Silverado back home that I couldn´t reach, even if I tried my best.
Didn't you answer your own question. When the cars are that much cheaper (not only because of VAT, 19% in Germany, no car tax in Germany), it does not make sense to sell all the options with all the freedom to choose that we have (and you have when you return home). You should be able to get almost all options if you buy a fully loaded car, some rare options are mutually exclusive unfortunately.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post

Examples:

- engines:
-- in Europe Mercedes offers the following diesel engines:
- 200CDI , 4cyl, 136hp/200ftlbs
- 220CDI , 4cyl, 170hp/300ftlbs
- 250CDI , 4cyl, 200hp/370ftlbs
- 320CDI , V6 225hp/380ftlbs
- 420CDI , V8 306hp/516ftlbs
Where did you make that list? I cannot think of a current or a past model that had that exact list of diesel engines. The 320CDI does not come with that spec on an S-class, the current E-class has several other diesel engines but no 250CDI, the C-class and the GLK would have the new 250 Blue efficiency model but if you're intention is to refer to the full range of diesel engines available in Europe, this list is almost one half only.

Then again you seem to be complaining about the availability of the 420CDI mainly, that is just one engine that I guess isn't available much more than the E-class and the S-class, if excluding SUVs (ML, GL etc.).

You don't mention where from Northern Europe you come from. It makes quite a huge difference in car price (from cartax) if comparing car prices for Denmark against Sweden or so.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2005 SL500, 2007 E550
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think this is a case of the dealer knowing what's best for you. This is more of a marketing issue. Not all Mercedes models could be imported due to potential small sales, making them not economcially viable for Mercedes to bring in. So Mercedes only imports those models it feels will sell in healthy numbers. Are they right? Probably not always.

Neil
San Francisco Bay Area

2007 E550, P1, Sport
1996 SL320, ASR, Heated Seats, Xenons, CD Changer,

My Cars: http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/sho...&ppuser=133412
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Look at the torque numbers especially the 420. It's huge!!!

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
MBUSA also has its own idea of what the brand represents to its customers in the USA based on its experience. Decisions on what models or option groups to offer are a combination of their marketing and various regulations in the US.

The most recent example was the decision not to offer the CLC, since the previous C-Class Coupe did not fare well in the US.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=Diesel Benz;3177673]Where did you make that list? I cannot think of a current or a past model that had that exact list of diesel engines. The 320CDI does not come with that spec on an S-class, the current E-class has several other diesel engines but no 250CDI, the C-class and the GLK would have the new 250 Blue efficiency model but if you're intention is to refer to the full range of diesel engines available in Europe, this list is almost one half only.

Yes, you´re right : that engine list above is not from any particular Mercedes model, but an example listing what is available from Mercedes Europe in general.

Here in North America only the 320CDI is available, and that is my complain..

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Like any big international company, DB does a lot of market research and releases those models it feels will do well in different parts of the world. It also has to deal with local emissions and safety requirements. As you've noticed, diesels generally take a pretty big hit here, and have ever since their heyday back in the 80's.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in