New '02 S430 Owner - Did I make a mistake? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New '02 S430 Owner - Did I make a mistake?

I just bought a '02 S430. It is in very clean condition with 99k miles and paid $12k USD.

In my research I did not learn about the suspension issues with '00-'02 until finding this site today. I am now concerned and have buyers remorse. It seemed like a good price for the condition the vehicle is in. Caveat Emptor - I did not have it inspected so I don't know if my car is effected. My plan is to drive this car 20-30k over the next 2 years and then trade it in for a newer E class.

Aside from the suspension, is this car just going to be a lemon? Did I over pay for this car?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 05:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2008
I bought a 2001 about 2 months ago. I was excited to get into one and mine to has about the same mileage on it and is in good shape. Your concerns are very valid especially on the suspension. I learned about the suspension after buying the car and seeing one at the shop sitting on the ground didnt make me feel any better, however that being said, have faith in the car and enjoy it. So far everything I have needed to do to the car has been minor knock on wood, however you always run that risk of a 3500-5000 repair to these cars. Also 12k is what I paid and the car books in good condition around 18k last I checked. My theory on the car is, if worst case scenario is you had to put 10k into the car over a year and basically made the car perfect, you end up with an excellent reliable car that is an amazing driving machine. Enjoy the car and dont sweat the small stuff. These MBZ cars seem sensitive to negative energy towards it lol , afterall they do have a mind of their own. Also on the suspension their are shops that will repair the suspension vs changing it out in the event you had an issue. Alot of shops wont do it, since the repairs are only good for about 2 years. Repairing the suspension requires welding plates over the problem on these suspension.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Get rid of it now while you are still ahead. Why you purchased a used car without an inspection is perplexing, and why you purchased one of the most unreliable cars that ever rolled off the Chrysler production line withOUT an inspection is even more perplexing!

To answer your question; yes you did make a mistake. You need to do your research before you buy something, not after.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
As with everything in life -you will have variety of opinions and experience.
I have been extremely happy with the brand and most of older MB I sold in the past gave me small profits. Our 10-years old ML320 that is generally having bad opinions survived all those years with $120 in repairs, still on original batteries. Than newer cars have more gadgets that can give you a headache when the car ages.
So IMHO even each newer models have some weak points -you still have very solid base. Try to find how many owners on this forum report major engine failure?
Even the questionable "lifetime fluid" transmissions seems to last several hundreds thousand without issues.
Sad part is that if you are not DIY the stealers will eat you alive.
So you better learn how to surf this forum for technical help and make sure you have good quality tool set.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the brand.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 11-16-2008 at 01:25 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W220 2004 S500
Start shopping for an extended warranty! Better safe than sorry. Get one that is transferrable and it will make it easier to sell the car when you are looking to buy newer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
To answer your question; yes you did make a mistake. You need to do your research before you buy something, not after.
Very true.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think you paid a fair price for the car, but as others have said, you should have done your research before buying it. From what I've read on here, the earlier W220 series had it's share of issues but the later ones were O.K.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: