Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2003 S500 4Matic

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mmmendoz 
#1 ·
Recently when I would go to start the car I would turn the key and the motor would just keep turning over and just not start. I would have to take the key out, lock the doors, wait 30 sec and try again and usually by the second time it would start. But sometimes i would have to do it 4- 5 times before it'll start. The dealership told me that it is nearly impossible to figure out what the problem is but a friend told me that the problem could be the crank shaft sensor. The car has 53000km and tomorrow it's going to for a service B and other then telling the dealer to look at that sensor I was hoping that someone else could tell me what could possibly be going wrong. I also tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours but that didn't seem to do the trick. Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong here?

#2 ·
You need to leave it at the repair location overnight. They need to cold start it in the morning with the all the scanners hooked up and with people watching the engine to see what it is doing.

#7 ·
I brought the car to the dealer this morning for the service B and also talked to someone about the problem and immediately he said it was the crank shaft sensor. He said that its a common problem with all Mercedes cars built in 2003. Too bad it gonna cost around 600 to get it replaced since the warranty ran out not too long ago:mad:

Thanks for everyone help though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.