LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ML320 (1998) Electrical Problems

I own a 1998 ML320 that has aprox 112,000 miles on it. While I was driving the car, the engine suddenly and without any warning shut off. I stopped the car and attempted to restart it. The AC, fan, turn signals, power windows and power locks also went off. The instrument panel showed no indicator lights except the SRS, no fuel gauge, no temp gauge. There was no check engine light showing and the engine would not restart at all. I could not hear any starter sounds or attempts to turn over the engine when I turned the key in the ignition.
When the tow truck driver arrived, he unsuccessfully attempted to jump start the car.
An automobile electronics shop diagnosed the problem as a fault in the BCM or ECM, but they did not have the equipment to fix it.
A Mercedes repair shop performed an additional diagnosis and found a broken pin on the fuse box (a connector between the AAM and the fuse box) and corrosion where water had leaked in between the fuse box and the AAM.
He stated that I would have to replace the AAM, ECM, fuse box, ignition and locks because all 8 keys available for my ML320 had already been used. The dealership would not just send him a new AAM and fuse box stating that there were no more keys to be programmed on the old equipment. The maximum was 8 keys.

Can anyone confirm the problem regarding an 8 key replacement limitation for the 1998 ML 320?

Is there any way to work around having to replace both the AAM and ECM due to the key limitation?

Is there any way to work with the current keys (reprogrammed?) and avoid replacing all locks and the ignition?

Are there any parts warehouses that sell these electrical parts outside of the dealerships?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
I heard the 8-key story before. My understanding is that the mechanical locks can be reused, jut the electronic chips replaced.
I am afraid you are in the mercy of stealers.
Good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to NAPTOWNBENZ
If you just need the AAM , you should be able to order it with a coding key(163 760 14 06)

Not having the car here , its hard to diagnose what they might need. The car might have lost the key track memory.
When you run run out of Key tracks(1-8) YOu need to replace the ignition tumbler, All Activities Module, Engine Control module, and the Door locks.

YOU can duplicate key tracks on other Mercedes-Benz Vehicles.

As far as electronic parts. I am a dealer but I can get you GREAT prices on parts.

Mercedes-Benz of Annapolis

Last edited by NAPTOWNBENZ; 11-11-2008 at 12:27 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Originally Posted by NAPTOWNBENZ View Post
Not having the car here , its hard to diagnose what they might need. The car might have lost the key track memory.
When you run run out of Key tracks(1-8) YOu need to replace the ignition tumbler, All Activities Module, Engine Control module, and the Door locks.
Can you explain why door locks need to be replaced? I assume it is because MB assumes keys being lost, including the mechanical key then too and they want to gain the same security as for a new car (nobody having the old key for the car could enter it with the metal key even when the remote key is disabled)?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: