1981 Mercedes Benz 300 SD turbo diesel has no first gear with 4sp transmission. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
GT8
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
Smile 1981 Mercedes Benz 300 SD turbo diesel has no first gear with 4sp transmission.

Hello....I have an interesting question before I bring it to my Mercedes Benz mechanic and dump out my wallet to him....

I just realized my 300 SD has no first gear one day. It just dawned on me I just did not have any power anymore and fearful on a cold day I could not even run over a popsicle stick until it warms up. Any ideas from anyone. I did put a quart of trans-tune in the transmission, but that was some 3000 miles ago. Should I have drained it after that? Someone said the valve body might need a spring or something like that....Appreciate anyone on this one with there opinion... THANKS.... Brad
GT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
nsw
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 04 E320 4Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT8 View Post
Hello....I have an interesting question before I bring it to my Mercedes Benz mechanic and dump out my wallet to him....

I just realized my 300 SD has no first gear one day. It just dawned on me I just did not have any power anymore and fearful on a cold day I could not even run over a popsicle stick until it warms up. Any ideas from anyone. I did put a quart of trans-tune in the transmission, but that was some 3000 miles ago. Should I have drained it after that? Someone said the valve body might need a spring or something like that....Appreciate anyone on this one with there opinion... THANKS.... Brad
Don't know if you consider it relevant, but my E320 (see left for more details) actually starts in the 2nd gear when the Sport/Comfort button is set to C (comfort). It works fine. I suppose starting in the 2nd gear (with the C setting) is more suitable for winter conditions. Wish you get better advice from other members.
nsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
GT8
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
Talking Mine is different...but thank you for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsw View Post
Don't know if you consider it relevant, but my E320 (see left for more details) actually starts in the 2nd gear when the Sport/Comfort button is set to C (comfort). It works fine. I suppose starting in the 2nd gear (with the C setting) is more suitable for winter conditions. Wish you get better advice from other members.

Hello..... thank you for your response on the transmission issue.

Since it did not go crunch or clunk or anything I can say sounded bad I am really not to worried as it can be fixed with it not coming out of the car.

My transmission relies on vaccum and is not electronic being a 1981.

I was told it could be a valve body issue with a spring. I am hoping it is that for if I need another auto trans, I will opt for a 5 speed stick Getrag manual conversion.

I am also in the process of converting and making a hydrogen on demand system. I get about 28 MPG in the Summer now, with the 5 speed manual trans that will definitely bump up to 35 MPG or 40 Mpg.

With the HHO system I can seriously see with hydrogen assist around 75 possible MPG.

These are very serious numbers that can be reached.

I have a friend with a "real Hummer"... not a converted new Chevy Tahoe frame 2008 Hummer. He matriculated from a tech school and is a brain at literally everything mechanical, electronic and probably every thing else too.

He has an on board computer with his Hummer and is getting 122 MPG in the city with a diesel, electric, hydrogen assist combo.

His speeds with the Hummer can be as high as 90 MPH, why go that fast.... because he can is the answer.

In town his electric assist takes over up to 40 MPH, then diesel/electric take over, then over 45 MPH hydrogen/diesel assist kicks in.

To see the computer at 70 MPH read close to 90 MPG is nuts.

To take one gallon of bio-diesel.."yes he makes that as well"...and put it in a self bleeding injection system and run from empty to 90 miles and then before it chokes empty switch the solenoid over and run from the tank is crazy. How do I know it runs that well MPG wise? I was the one holding the fuel container that the fuel line came from that went right into the injection. Also I saw the solenoid kick in since that was at my feet when the screen said 90 MPG. If you want to be really technical it was 90.013 MPG. Yes he built the black box computer too for the engine management system.

Hey he is a board certified genius..... I just have a transmission issue and he also thinks it is a spring in need of a change in the transmission valve body too.

Last edited by GT8; 11-10-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: boo boo 2
GT8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz