LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question W221 Renaming CDs

I had a 2001 S500 (100,000+ miles) until this year when I purchased a new 2008 (W221) - fully loaded (all of the options).

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to name a CD? The 2001 S500 allowed me to type in a name of a CD and it would remember it - making it easier to scroll through CDs that were in the system - selecting the one that I wanted to hear. It appears that I don't have that option on the new 2008 model. Is there a way to name the CDs or DVDs?

UPDATE: I just contacted MB and they informed me that the system should read the information from the CD. When I mentioned that I had tried a number of CD - all purchased (not burned) CDs - they said that it doesn't have the information on all CDs manufactured. I thanked them and then tried about 30 other discs - from a number of companies - no luck.

Question - has anybody else seen this problem?

2. Has anyone successfully used the PCMCIA slot? If so, what software did you use to store the information on the PMCIA card? Do you just store *.mp3 files?

Comment: While I love the new 2008 model and the options (Sat radio, Bluetooth, Panorama roof, greater seat adjustment and massage options, COMAND ease of use, voice activated controls, iPod capabilities, inboard CD changer, DVD (without changing out every time you leave a state), front and rear cameras, distronic (great option!!!), parktronic, etc. I have experienced some disappointments between the 2001 and the 2008 models - e.g. rear mirror not automatically adjusting for different drivers, the CD naming capabilities (see above), plastic front grill, no cover for credit cards in the glove compartment door.

Another concern - the steptronics control buttons - they're not in a very "safe" position. It's easy to bump these buttons - sending the transmission into a lower gear - by mistake. I asked if it was possible to disable these and was informed that it wasn't. Has anyone had any problems with these buttons (on the steering wheel)?

I also wished that the iPOD controls were a bit more friendly and were displayed on the main COMAND screen and not just on the driver's display. It's impossible for the passenger to adjust anything on the iPOD. Also - no pause capabilities on the iPOD. It seems that this option was added without much thought as to how to integrate it into the COMAND controls. Does the PCMCIA operate the same way?

Finally - it seems to me that the seats were more comfortable in the 2001 than in the 2008 models. I talked to the dealer about this and was informed that the 2001 had a spring configuration, whereas the 2008 has a molded fiberglass configuration. It seems that, if you're riding in the car for a long period of time, your rear ends gets a bit sore/numb - something I never noticed on the 2001 model. Has anyone had a similar comment?

Overall - I love the new 2008 - just getting used to the differences.

Last edited by jimgiz; 11-10-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: update information from MB help desk.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W220 2004 S500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have noticed that almost none of my bought CD's have the CDTEXT. I add it when I burn them with iTunes. The CDTEXT must be turned on in iTunes because it is turned off by default.. What I do is copy them into iTunes. iTunes recognizes them, copy the songs to a play list and burn them back to a CD. Voila. It has the name of the CD and all of the tracks.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2008
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
THANKS - works great!! I would have never have figured this out.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: