LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MB asked $4500 for ESP/BAS...please help

four weeks ago I bought my first MB, 00' ML430 with 123km on it. Truck had no corrosion looked good and drove fine. I decided to give it a fresh start so I took it to a local MB dealer to change transmission oil, spark plugs and clean injectors...

Last week I noticed yellow ESP/BAS light, intermittent few days to became permanent but it doesn't effect drive. I went back to MB shop, they shock me with green corrosion inside connector between ESP and other sensors (white one) and then ask to replace ESP and wire harness for $4500. I asked for DCT printout and got C1141 (current) with registered C1140-008, C1529 and C1331-003 and drove home in shock as I couldn't afford repair.

After I sat with myself and Jim Beam, and after reading your forums I came to conclusion that bunch of codes must came out when MB tech wiggled corroded connector. Then I got mad cut and replaced connector myself. To my disbelief I found that pin 3 from N34 brake pressure sensor was missing, it fell off while in MB shop!

Well ESP/BAS light didn't go away so I began to HOPE that my problem is either C1141 (brake pressure sensor) or C1140-008 (steering sensor) as I do not have DTC reader and I can't go back to MB.

Does anybody know if N34 brake pressure sensor can be replaced separately from booster/master cylinder and wouldn't it make more sense to expect DTC codes from ESP if ESP has a problem? Would DTC clear by itself or needs to be reset using reader?

Please help
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
1) swap battery. Often batteries get so low the current in all the systems overwhelms them - while they are still perfectly able to turn the crank. I had ESP/BAS until the battery finally gave out - new battery, no ESP/BAS, and I didn't change any other parts.

2) scrub that gack out of there! get the codes re-set and wait for them to re-appear. you could be waiting some while

3) while waiting, look at eBay and similar for crashed ML's. The chances are that loom is modular and you can either swap that bit out, or buy the whole connector and chop out good for bad. Heat-shrink sleeving and a little gas-powered soldering iron is the key!

London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Hello Steve,
I removed corroded connector and re soldered new one, found shop that can read measurement from ESP and BAS, where we figured that only DTC that stay after reset is C1141 brake pressure sensor electrical fault.

Folks at the shop were very kind to let me read live measurements from BAS pressure sensors (Left and right) and after I wiggled wires second sensor came to life on screen but first stayed off. What was promising is that all other sensors where sending data and ESP was taking it... so a bit of relief, ESP is still alive. So I am moving on to sensor connectors and their wires.

Strangely nobody in the shop or any of MB forums cold tell if brake pressure sensor can be replaced separately from Booster/master cylinder.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2008
The pressure sensor on the bottom of the master cylinder can be replaced seperately. Call a differant dealer with your vin number for availability. Maybe a A001-542-75-18 but DO NOT quote me as VIN number will confirm correct part. The stop lamp switch in the pedal brake can cause BAS/ESP faults also.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
I'll certainly do so!
Tonight I'm preparing "home made" sensor connectors and wires. I also learned that some DTCs must be reset by reader, some not I'm not sure.

Perhaps I swim out of this lemon hole, shame as I just began to like that truck.
I'll keep you posted and if you like I can send you pdf file that I made as notes after days of research about ESP and BAS and DTCs. Hopefully you don't get that green arteriosclerosis on your wires, it's scary to visualize having oxide moving everywhere trough wires... just like Monty Pythons sketch with parrot.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Yes, brake pressure sensor B34 (there are two of them) are sold separately from master cylinder on ML430. What a relief... beside that one, membrane position sensor is the only other thing replaceable other then having to purchase whole booster (solenoid and release switch are irreplaceable).

Thanks for tip Bobby.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: