LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buy Back?

Hi! I'm hoping that someone who knows a little something about "buy backs" can give me some advice. I am a first time MB owner. I purchased a used 2007 R350 in July, 27000 miles and still under warranty. It is currently in a dealership's service dept. for the 4th time for the same issue. The "ESP Inoperative" light comes on and the vehicle goes immediately in to Limp Home mode. After the second time in the shop, the dealership told me that this is a "buy back" vehicle...the first owner had the same problems and had the car bought back by MB. MB turned around and sold it at an auction. As you can imagine, I am beyond frustrated. MB is now telling me that they will review my situation to see if this warrants a "buy back". I don't fully understand what that means. I am having the vehicle serviced at an authorized MB dealer. I bought the vehicle at Luxury Motors, not an MB dealership. Do I MB buy back the vehicle and how much money am I going to lose if I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Logically, since MB sold the "bad" car again, and seemingly with a valid new car warranty still in effect, you should have the same "buy back" option as the original owner. If you paid fair market value for the car, you should expect to get nearly all of that back (less the number of miles you drove while you owned it). Good Luck!

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I guess my concern is what fair market value is going to be. Kelly Blue Book has the trade in value at $23K and I paid $32K.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Good question, and neither of us know what value MBUSA will place on the car. Trade-In values have got to be on the low end of the scale, and I hope they offer you considerably more than that. What gets me about this is that they sold the car again. They had to know all about the service history, so they should have just stripped it for parts.

Last edited by Musikmann; 10-27-2008 at 05:02 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
You purchased a used lemon. Never a good idea. Did you take a moment to pull up the CarFax report on this R before you purchased it? It would have indicated a manufacture buyback.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would have the service manager at the dealership schedule a meeting with the MBZone rep to discuss your issue and get it on paper, even if you need an attorney to writ a letter to Montvale. I is called insurance
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

I agree with Mr X. You (unfortunatley) bought a Lemon Law car from the prev owner. If it was a true "lemon" that MBZ bought back from the orig owner, this HAS to be disclosed to you prior to signing the contract for purchase on your "new" car. If it was not, you have a case. If it was, and it was over looked, you may be looking at a continuing problem-under warranty its annoying, out of warranty, it'll be expensive. To make it a little worse....the lemon law does not cover used or second title owners! There may be a clause in your states Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) that covers a portion of this (arrbitration vs court, ect)-but I would review the docs at the time of purchase to see if you signed off knowing that it may/was a lemon.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
I agree with Peter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in