post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry MB Command System reboots when bluetooth pairs

Dear MB Tech's, Enthusiasts and Problem Solvers ....

This issue i have has got me typing this message from my wall as opposed to my chair in the office.

I have an E55 05' model which i just added the MB bluetooth puck to. I carry a Blackberry 8300 Curve with new OS 4.5.0.55. Everytime i pair these two lovely units the MB Command System (screen, audio, navi, etc...) turns off and then turns back on immediately (like a periodic/automatic reboot). so obviously, during calls its useless since all calls end up terminating by themselves.

i have sent my car to the dealer 4 times already and everytime they tell me they have changed a new cpu or puck or whatever they feel like dishing out when im there for the pickup. I have searched the entire internet for a similar issue, but non i found discuss this topic. I have tried pairing the devices, deleting and repairing them many times. i have also, made the bluetooth options on my phone discoverable, let all pairing devices become trusted ones, and allowed all securities to be disabled to make it happen and yet the issue still stands.

I am presuming the problem is in the Merc and not the phone since the Command system is turning off and not the phone itself.

can this be solved? has this ever occurred before?

If anyone has had this and found a solution please let me know what i should do. obviously the dealer couldn't help me and notifying all people in charge there is apperently useless.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
It isn't impossible that that another phone would work, I would at least try with a more common (to MB) phone model.

If they've changed the Comand HW, the phone controller and the BT adapter, it does not sound like a HW issue at the car side.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
It isn't impossible that that another phone would work, I would at least try with a more common (to MB) phone model.

If they've changed the Comand HW, the phone controller and the BT adapter, it does not sound like a HW issue at the car side.
Thank you Deisel benz for your reply.

As of this morning I have tried a common Sony Ericsson phone to check and see if it possibly is the phone (eventhough BB 8300 Curve has been authorized by Benz), and the same problem persists. I do believe that they might have changed the Comand HW, but not sure if the phone controller has been changed. But sine both phones cause the System to retart, I presume it must be an issue with the car computer, or whatever else can cause the actual Comand System to shut down and restart with no authority.

I have a feeling that this issue is one of those mysteries that cant be solved. There isn't a forum that has covered this issue yet (hence the possible mystery).

very worried, fingers crossed ...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Yes, if the Comand resets with two totally different phones, it sounds like a Comand issue.

You could try a factory reset from the Comand menu or pull the fuse for a while (you would lose all personal settings). The instantaneous reset might have partly the same but not necessarily all.

Since the problem appears at a well known scenario and repeats, it sounds more like a SW issue than HW. I would ask the workshop to check that all relevant control units have the latest SW (Comand and the phone controller at least). If possible, you could try with a different BT adapter too but I understand the workshop already tried this.

The reset could come from some unexpected user data, like phone book info fields but it would be odd if you had the same on the two different phones. If you can try your phone on another car, that would further point to your Comand issue.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I just called up the service dept. and related the SW reccomendation you mentioned, to them. They will check their history of work to see if they had considered this in one of my visits. i just went down to my car and reset the comand (same issue) and pulled the fuse for 10 minutes (same issue) and replaced the fuse (same issue). They also mentioned that they had done this already (after i had tried it though). I asked my friend to pass by and tried it on his BMW X6, it works perfectly and you can put any password you wish to it as well (i like that option, seems more secure), plus the address entries are unlimited.

Thanks to your help and efforts Diesel Benz, i believe we have eliminated many optional issues about it being the phone and not the Mercedes itself. Now i await their feedback on your reccomendation and will let you know if this has been deemed a solution or if it will continue to be a mystery. Like you siad, this further points to the Comand issue.

My Cars:

* Lamborghini Gallardo IMSA GTV (1 0f 5 in the World) 2007, IMSA 18 Piece Carbon Fibre
Kevlar Body Kit, Single Bolt 20" IMSA Wheels, Light Silver Carbon Fibre Interior
* Mercedes S500 2007, 20" Kahn Wheels
* Mercedes E55 AMG 2006, 20" Kahn Wheels
* Nissan Pathfinder 2004, 20" American Racing Wheels, 4000 Watt Stereo (JL Audio Bass,
Rockford Fosgate Speakers and Head Unit and Bass Amp), Sony Speaker Amp, Drop Kit,
Manual Transmission
* Pontiac Turbo Trans AM 1989
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK1979 View Post
I just called up the service dept. and related the SW reccomendation you mentioned, to them. They will check their history of work to see if they had considered this in one of my visits. i just went down to my car and reset the comand (same issue) and pulled the fuse for 10 minutes (same issue) and replaced the fuse (same issue). They also mentioned that they had done this already (after i had tried it though). I asked my friend to pass by and tried it on his BMW X6, it works perfectly and you can put any password you wish to it as well (i like that option, seems more secure), plus the address entries are unlimited.

Thanks to your help and efforts Diesel Benz, i believe we have eliminated many optional issues about it being the phone and not the Mercedes itself. Now i await their feedback on your reccomendation and will let you know if this has been deemed a solution or if it will continue to be a mystery. Like you siad, this further points to the Comand issue.
Glad to hear that the workshop at least takes it seriously. Since the issue is easily repeatable, they should be able to fix it eventually. A pity they were not able to solve it with less hassle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Glad to hear that the workshop at least takes it seriously. Since the issue is easily repeatable, they should be able to fix it eventually. A pity they were not able to solve it with less hassle.
Your absolutely right about that. As long as it gets solved, there will be peace in my world. Will let you know if there is a solution, and most importantly, what that solution is.

My Cars:

* Lamborghini Gallardo IMSA GTV (1 0f 5 in the World) 2007, IMSA 18 Piece Carbon Fibre
Kevlar Body Kit, Single Bolt 20" IMSA Wheels, Light Silver Carbon Fibre Interior
* Mercedes S500 2007, 20" Kahn Wheels
* Mercedes E55 AMG 2006, 20" Kahn Wheels
* Nissan Pathfinder 2004, 20" American Racing Wheels, 4000 Watt Stereo (JL Audio Bass,
Rockford Fosgate Speakers and Head Unit and Bass Amp), Sony Speaker Amp, Drop Kit,
Manual Transmission
* Pontiac Turbo Trans AM 1989
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
I'd go with the COMAND software being an older version - they should have fixed that when they supplied the puck, of course, but they sound like spanner people not software people.

I must say I don't find the Crackberry the world's finest Bluetooth device, and this seems to be a problem between what it wants to do, and what the pairing partner asks of it. Different laptops, for example, will pair differently with the same Blackberry because their Blackberry drivers have different capability profiles. One laptop makes my Blackberry Bold lock up so completely I have to take the battery out to get it to respond again, if I try to pair them with Bluetooth. Yet, my old Kenwood add-on stereo in the E55 used to pair with every phone perfectly, first time every time...

I wish MB would let third parties make UHI cradles. I'd far rather have the BB or the iPhone fully connected and charging, as well as passing through the car's aerial systems, than use crappy old Bluetooth. it also seems kind of weird that we can't use our Bluetooth phone as a substitute Keyless Go device...!

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonThing View Post
I wish MB would let third parties make UHI cradles. I'd far rather have the BB or the iPhone fully connected and charging, as well as passing through the car's aerial systems, than use crappy old Bluetooth. it also seems kind of weird that we can't use our Bluetooth phone as a substitute Keyless Go device...!
What would prevent third party manufacturers make UHI cradles when ViseeO makes a full BT adapter? Or do you mean MB should release the interface specs to make it easier for third party suppliers?

The BT KG idea was interesting. The down side is that the current KG works on a different (less crowded) frequency and security. MB would need provide a "KG application" to smart phones to keep the key info secure. Even this would be less secure than the physical key from MB. A java application would run on a wide range of phone models but not all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in