post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1972 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New member, old car, classic problems

My son and I just picked up a 1972 200/8 recently and are now trying to fix the cold start problem. First thing I noticed with the Stromberg carb was that the air valve was jumping up and down when you tried to start the car. Some oil in the damper fixed that. I've changed the plugs and wires, which helped some. I've still got to get out and check the dwell/timing etc. We picked up a shop manual of sorts. It says that I'm supposed to have a Stromberg 175 CDS, but the carb on the car shows 175 CD-2. It's got a fitting on the front toward the top that has been left going nowhere, and it doesn't look like the pictures in the Stromberg manual we picked up either. The water pump looks like it has the ports to send water up to a carb, but they are now just looped back to each other.

I'm also told that since its a grey market car, I may not be able to get parts. Certainly none of the regular internet parts companies support it.

From what I've seen in the forums, I'm thinking that it could also be a fuel pump issue, but the shop manual I have doesn't go into the fuel pump at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: