LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1988 M-BENZ 300E | 1991 FORD PROBE GT TURBO | 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4x4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Recently Inherited a 1988 300E... I google'd "Mercedes Benz Forum" and found this place.

I've been a member of Performance Probe for years as a 1991 Probe GT Turbo has been my primary vehicle.

The 300E was bought by my grandparents new, they've decided that it's too old to continue to maintain themselves so as someone that put a new engine in my own car they gave it to me to mess with.

But I must say, compared to my Probe that I know every wire and vac tube on the car, I'm a bit lost on this one.

I have Mitchell1 OnDemand5 on a stored computer I need to get out and hook up which should help me fix some minor problems, but it will probably not tell me what kind of oil I should be using in it and stuff.

Right now it has Castrol 20W-50 in it, is that ok? Should I be using something thinner? I use 5W-30 in my Turbo car.

The car has somewhere between 150-200k miles on it, the odometer quit about 8 years ago and is stuck on 99k. But the past 6 years it has been driven like once every 2 months.

Current Problems:

Central Locking System - Right rear door won't lock with system, pump continues to run for a while. If I pre lock that door manually then the left rear don't lock via the pump.

Cold Startup Problem - Already started a thread here on this, but it basically requires light 1-2cm pumping of the gas while cranking then it stumbles for about 60 seconds while pumping then eventually smooths out. Runs fine once that it overcome. [FIXED - Replaced Spark Plugs and Cleaned Battery Terminals]

Transmission Shift Problem - Between 1st and 2nd, or between 2nd and 3rd (not sure which yet) if one is accelerating hard there will be a delay between the shifts and the engine will rev up quickly then wind up jerking hard into the next gear because of that overrev. I'm thinking it might be a little low on trans fluid, I hope that's all it is. BTW, do these cars have "positive locking transmissions" ? [FIXED - Transmission was 1.2 quarts low on fluid.]

ABS Light is on - brakes work fine, I'm used to no ABS anyway, so it's not that important to me, but one of the brakes does squeak during long easy braking. [FIXED - Cleaned Battery Terminals]

SRS Light is on - been on since late 90's, they just never had it fixed because it was something expensive, I'm just not sure what. (Lowest Priority problem, probably too expensive to be worth fixing unless the part it needs can be obtained from a junk/salvage yard.)

Seems to run awfully hot when idling in once place for 5-10 minutes. [New Spark Plugs seem to have fixed this but can't really tell because there has not been very hot weather here lately.]

Audio: Headunit works but the front speakers sound like they are nearly totally deteriorated. What are the official sizes of the front and rear speakers? 4 inch front and 5.25 inch rear? Going to add my extra XM Radio dock to the car soon, going to take a lot of time routing the antenna wire.

as for upgrades, does anyone know of a clear lens headlight conversion kit? Would be nice to convert the fog lights to clear lens too.

Also, the entire original exhaust system is still there and functioning, but I would think it would be a huge power loss because it seems to be overkill.

There is one fat thing just after each manifold (mini-pre-CAT's?) then the CAT converter, then a resonator? then the final muffler.

Edit Add: Since it's running smoothly now I floored it (very smooth and race car sounding BTW) and it shifted properly a little before redline but I must say, not near the g-force on my body as my turbo car, what can we do to improve this? My other car is a factory turbo, not aftermarket, adding a aftermarket turbo is a bigger project than I want to take on anytime soon, but I would consider a aftermarket supercharger as long as it's a self contained one that does not require running oil lines. I might consider a turbo if there is a "ready to install" "kit" where I would not have to fabricate anything. I am though wondering about a turbo off a 1st generation Toyota Supra, as I believe they also had a Inline 6 engine. I don't need nor could afford a twin setup, I don't mind turbo lag as long as it's worth the wait. If I were rich I would just buy a CL65 AMG, that tourq would feel NICE!

Last edited by TechGuru; 10-18-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: