SL 280 SL Mercedes Benz 1994 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes Benz R129 SL 280 Convertable Auto Petrol, 1995 Mercedes Benz E200 Estate Auto Petrol
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Youngseal Send a message via Skype™ to Youngseal
(Thread Starter)
SL 280 SL Mercedes Benz 1994

I live on the Western Seaboard of Ireland and have been in Mercs for a few years now. Having been driven around in a few in my youth, by my uncle a vet, I supposed I grew attached to the idea of owning one. I think the first merc I drove was an SL350 that was on loan to me for a week while my own car was repaired and not being able to afford that one at the time I decided that some time I would own one. The first Mercedes I owned, however, was a 1981 dark brown diesel estate, 200E, with a sunroof and a lot of character. Max, from Hart to Hart, was often seen driving a cream version of the same model. I am convinced it had a good end by saving the life of the driver, not me btw, when it colided with a bus on a windy country road. I toyed with the idea of repairing it but having bought a similar but older model with a broken gearbox time and skills werent permitting.'A car or two later and after a 2 year search I finally found another Mercedes Estate, a 200 automatic in pristine condition from 1995. I still have her but I return to my long term goal of owning an SL 280 SL convertable, leather interior, electric seats and airconditioning were a must! Last month after an year and a half of searching I finally found one and at present I am giving it a lot of care and attention trying to restore it to its former glory, there isnt that far a journey to travel.
Wish me luck and all advice and opinions are welcome for either the 200 automatic petrol estate or the SL 280 SL Convertable.

Three things I am imediatly interested in to follow:

1. I need to purchase HT leads to tackle an intermittant missing fault that presents itself upon excelleration, I have noticed that the reversing can be extremely jerky when the fault presents itself but that when it isnt present that the car sails like a dream and is much more economical on the juice... Any previous experience of this problem anybody? Any advice as to the veracity of my diagnosis? Any directions to a good point of purchase for HT leads or another method of checking this fault out before I purchase the leads?

2. I am interested in aquiring a service manual for both cars also, assistance would be appreciated in finding a godd supplier of a good product.

3. Is there asite that might offer advice as to why the different tones eminate from the small speaker by the rear view mirror. At present a continuous bong sound can be heard, even when saftey belts are worn and roof is firmly in place, doors closed and either driving or stationary...There seems to be a little damage to the airbag compartment on the passenger and I have toyed with the idea that it might be a faulty sensor, the drivers electric seat doesnt seem to work and I am wondering if the safety belt sensor might be affected... words of wisdom please.

If you have made it this far, many thanks for viewing my thread and I look forward to hearing and sharing advice and tips.

R.

Last edited by Youngseal; 10-07-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes Benz R129 SL 280 Convertable Auto Petrol, 1995 Mercedes Benz E200 Estate Auto Petrol
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Youngseal Send a message via Skype™ to Youngseal
(Thread Starter)
Alone with my 1994 SL280 R129 series

Several months later and finally driving my SL280 I find that it is very dificult to find SL280 information. I still havnt found an owners manual for this model, the only one I found was an American edition for the 320, 500, and 600, all of which seem to be quite different.

Wanted pdf of the European RHD R129 series circa 1994 (SL280)
  1. Door Strap for the RHS Door
  2. Advice on reaslignment of the doors
  3. Service manual
  4. advice on improving the lights

All assistance appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in